Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RIP R8000P

nwork
Apprentice

RIP R8000P

Since all relevant R8000p topics appear as closed here (a.k.a. "solved", LOL), for some reason, might as well open up a new one so we can share updates.

As many of you know, the R8000P has had major issues with the .50 firmware, which did not allow for any more updates while at the same time having massive dysfunctionalities. There are dozens of people on this forum with the same issue and there is a broad consensus that the only solution is to get a replacement, hopefully without paying anything extra (though NG apparently wants to force people to pay for the company's mistake even for products are under warranty).

Some people, including myself, have managed to get a replacement for free. Others fell into the trap and paid. Still many others don't know how to fix the issue or are not willign to go through the trouble.

I received my replacement a year ago. Most of the problems (firmware update and others) were not present in the new unit. I still felt suckered for paying 250 euros for the thing, but anyway, it semeed to be working. This has recently changed radically. Not sure if it's the latest firmware, by my R8000P now requires that I access the Internet twice for anything (so, I want to go to the Netgear forum, I type in the address in my broswer, first reaction is "there is no internet", I click on refresh and it works; this happens for EVERYTHING and with things like online conferencing it's much, much worse). Since I work from home and this is seriously affecting my work, I decided to scrap my supposedly high-spec Netgear product for something slightly cheaper from a competitor that doesn't overcharge because they allegedly design things (badly) in California (the AX86S). OMG, the difference! Everything, absolutely everything, works not only properly but visibly better. I also took the opportunity to scrap my similarly high-end Netgear repeater, which of course does not suppor WPA3. I am absolutely never, never again even looking at a Netgear product.

Sorry for the rant, but I know so many of you feel the same 🙂

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7