Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Range Reduction on Nighthawk R7000

moyers
Aspirant

Range Reduction on Nighthawk R7000

Hello, I've had the R7000 for about 1 year now and it has performed with excellence.

Within the past few weeks however I've noticed a very weak wireless signal when moving far away from the router within my apartment.  At times I'm unable to connect to the WiFi signal at all whereas before I had no problems.

I'm also using a Netgear Extender which is experiencing the same issues.

I've tried rebooting both devices but the problems still persist.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Have you tried changing Wi-Fi channels? You can use the desktop version of Netgear's Genie app or free downloads like VistumblerAcrylic Wi-Fi, or Airport Utility to survey the Wi-Fi networks around to find the least congested channel.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Have you tried changing Wi-Fi channels? You can use the desktop version of Netgear's Genie app or free downloads like VistumblerAcrylic Wi-Fi, or Airport Utility to survey the Wi-Fi networks around to find the least congested channel.

Message 2 of 5
moyers
Aspirant

This was very useful, thank you very much!

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you're saying the RF signal is dropping or lower in locations where it use to be higher the router may be failing. The router's RF output Should not be effected by other routers. Speed and or throughput may be effected depending on other networks if they are being used at same time.

Changing channels is about the same as power cycling and while the new channel appears to be better it may not last if the radio is failing. 

Message 4 of 5

If changing channels worked, then maybe a neighbour has recently started using the same channel and their wifi is messing up yours.

I mention this so that you can keep an eye open for the next time this happens.

Can you see competing wifi channels?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7