Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Re-registering

Tonyseth
Follower

Re-registering

I REGISTERED MY ROUTER A FEW MONTHS AGO. ONE OF MY "SECURITY QUESTIONS" ASKS ME FOR MY SISTER'S NAME. I HAVE NO SISTER, AND I NEVER USED THAT QUESTION, YET I CANNOT PROCEED PAST IT. HOW CAN I RE-REGISTER MY DEVICE?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Re-registering

@Tonyseth wrote:

I REGISTERED MY ROUTER A FEW MONTHS AGO. ONE OF MY "SECURITY QUESTIONS" ASKS ME FOR MY SISTER'S NAME. I HAVE NO SISTER, AND I NEVER USED THAT QUESTION, YET I CANNOT PROCEED PAST IT. HOW CAN I RE-REGISTER MY DEVICE?

What are you trying to do? Take us through the steps that get you to this message.

By all means visit the link mentioned in the other message, but from your description it has nothing to do with the problem you describe.

When you register your router with Netgear, on MyNetgear, it does not ask you for answers to questions like that.

Those questions arise when you set up the login details for your local access to the router. They are there to help you to recover the router's control password if you forget it.

That password is the one you use to log into the browser graphical user interface (GUI). It is the password that goes with the username. And that is always admin. You can't change it. That pasword has nothing to do with registering a device.

If you keep seeing those questions, then you may be locked into the recovery loop.

If you are trying to use the "password recovery" option, there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7