Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyShare - Router assigning same letter to 2 individual HDDs

Simbo2021
Aspirant

ReadyShare - Router assigning same letter to 2 individual HDDs

Hi All, 

I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I recently discovered the ReadyShare  feature on my R7000 router and plugged one of my HDDs into the USB 3.0 port and happily watched some movie files on a few devices around the house. As I have my movie collection over a couple of drives I then plugged in a 2nd HDD into the USB 2.0 port. However the router is assigning the same letter (S Drive) to both of these HDDs. 

They are both listed as seperate devices on my router login page but as they are both 'S' I cant watch the movies from both drives.

The 2 drives are identical makes / model and have been formatted in Windows 10 with different drive letters. One drive is called 'Film Collection 1', the other 'Film Collection 2'.

I have tried unplugging the drives and reconnecting them in different orders but each time they are being assigned 'S'. 

Can anyone shed some light on the issue or suggest some troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks in advance, any help would be much appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
Simbo2021
Aspirant

Re: ReadyShare - Router assigning same letter to 2 individual HDDs

I'm replying to my own post here as I have managed to solve it.

I was confused by the fact both drives were being assigned 'S'....everything I've seen / read said that the drive letters would go up one with each HDD added.

What I did to solve my problem was in the router login page go to 'Advanced' > 'ReadyShare Storage' and then 'Edit' the 'Share Name' of the 2 listed HDDs. I labelled mine 'Film Collection 1' and 'Film Collection 2'. My devices can now pick up the movies from each HDD individually as they are seen as 2 individual devices despite both having the drive letter 'S' in the router.

I'm also aware the supported HDD page seems out of date. In case this helps someone further down the line the 2 drives attached are 16TB Seagate Exos. So 32TB of attached storage.

Message 2 of 3
Simbo2021
Aspirant

Re: ReadyShare - Router assigning same letter to 2 individual HDDs

Andddddd I'm back again Smiley LOL

So if the HDDs are turned off / unplugged at any point and then reconnected to the router it reverts to calling them the same thing again. The drive letter remains 'S' but the 'Share Name' reverts to both being 'Film Collection 2' (or whichever drive is turned on / plugged in last). I then have to manually edit the Share Name and everything works again. Not exactly the biggest problem but its a little annoying.

Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7