Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recommended access points for X4S R7800?

plasmic44
Tutor

Recommended access points for X4S R7800?

I need to improve Wi-Fi range in my house. I was considering switching to a mesh system (Orbi, Deco, etc.), but I've been happy with my R7800 otherwise. I don't mind manual configuration, so I'm not necessarily looking for something more simple. Does anyone have recommendations for access points for the R7800? Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Recommended access points for X4S R7800?

How many are you thinking? 

How big is your home and what is it made of (certain materials block wifi better)?

Reason I ask is sometimes it does work better to switch to a mesh system while others you can use a simple access point or a wifi extender. 

Are you hardwiring them in? Or trying to use extenders?

Message 2 of 5
plasmic44
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

How many are you thinking? 

How big is your home and what is it made of (certain materials block wifi better)?

Reason I ask is sometimes it does work better to switch to a mesh system while others you can use a simple access point or a wifi extender. 

Are you hardwiring them in? Or trying to use extenders?

Thanks for the response. The house is 2200 sq. ft and some walls are drywall while others (in the older section of the house) are plaster.

Wireline actually works pretty well in my house--I currently use that for streaming with my media center. I'm thinking I could connect an AP or router via Ethernet from a wireline adapter. I really need only one AP for a far corner of my house that gets spotty WiFi.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you're just using it for an access point, netgear's got some pretty solid access points. I've personally used the WAX218 and its been great. 

There are cheaper AX1800 models. 

Or you can look at the AC models.

https://www.netgear.com/business/wifi/access-points/

Or you could just get a router and use it in access point mode. 

Or even some (not all) of netgears extenders have an access point mode. 

So you have a ton of options. Basically comes down to what specs you want and what your budget is. 

Message 4 of 5

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

An Orb in AP mode is an easy way to create a Mesh network behind an R7800. That's what I have.

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7