Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router bottlenecking (throttling) NOT WIFI

FSB75
Aspirant

Router bottlenecking (throttling) NOT WIFI

I recently upgraded to Gigabit service and did not see the expected speeds.  I bypassed the router and connected directly to the modem (Hitron E31N2V1)....sure enough, after rebooting both, the speeds were there.  As such I tried a minimal boot and plugged 1 CAT6 into the back of the router to the one in the back of the modem and a CAT5e from the router to the PC and saw a massive reduction in speeds (from 920 to 450 Mbps).  Why?  Isn't it just:  Gigabit WAN > Gigabit LAN > Gigabit LAN (PC)? 

The only thing I haven't tried is a factory reset which seems a little extreme if it's just a setting within the router.

The firmware is up to date.  I'm not using QoS, although I am using access control.  Both of these settings, I would think, effect WiFi performance and not the wired connection to my PC.  With only my PC and an NVIDIA shield hardwired, should I just give up on the router and simply use the modem/WiFi router setup?  I was getting very close to a true 1 Gigabit speed....which even through some signal loss would be sufficient.

Any help would be appreciated.  Again (NOT a WIFI issue, don't care about WIFI) and lastly, why am I not seeing my provider speeds running from the modem to the router to my PC (all wired), whereas if I go from my PC directly to the modem I do see the provider speeds.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

make sure you have access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls, and qos all disabled and then reboot the device. 

Those services disable ctf which is needed for that router to hit gigabit speeds through the wan interface. 

If that doesn't work, factory reset it and reinstall (not from a backup). again, leave those services disabled. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

make sure you have access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls, and qos all disabled and then reboot the device. 

Those services disable ctf which is needed for that router to hit gigabit speeds through the wan interface. 

If that doesn't work, factory reset it and reinstall (not from a backup). again, leave those services disabled. 

Message 2 of 3
FSB75
Aspirant

It's a shame, to me, that these settings worked.  I'm going to do some more testing with the settings as I really like using access control.  I don't broadcast my SSID, and block new connections (MACs) automatically.  It's strange that I can't have both speed and control.  I was never using QoS, but made sure it was disabled.  Then I turned off access control and didn't see a change.  Finally I looked at the traffic meter...this one is interesting.  While the option for "Enable traffic meter" was in fact checked, it was set for "Traffic volume control by "no limit"".  So even though I'd read these options for other solutions I didn't think it applied to my hardwired problem, only WIFI.  Once I completely turned off the traffic meter, bam, 870ish Mbps.

Thank you for your help.  Now the decision for me is to install a simple switch and keep the BS router for simple things like printers and cell phones.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7