Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router issues

Friedbones
Guide

Router issues

I am trying to get a phone number for support for my new router.  But all I see are PAID support....why is that when I just purchased this new Dec 31st and received it on Jan 6th 2017?  Should there not be a period of time for new router customers to obtain complementary support ?

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
Friedbones
Guide

Re: Router issues

Finally managed to setup and change all passwords on the router with regard to the WiFi as well.  I need to remember never to try this kind of stuff when I am tired.  First thing this morning I was able to, not only accesss the router without all the hullabalu I experienced last night, but reset after firmwear update, and changed all the passwords.

I was confusing the router with the online account login info...no wonder I was unable to get anything to work last night.  Once I understood what I did wrong last night, I was able to get everything fixed up and all the necessary PWs adjusted.  So all is good now.

I want to thank everyone who responded and helped me with this last night and this morning.  I appreciate all the help.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 21

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

Free support for 90 days.  Router warranty 1 year.

We might be able to help you here quicker than traditional support.

What is your router model, firmware version, problem and what you have done to solve your problem.  It's best to start with the users manual that can be found through the support area at the top of this page.

Message 2 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

Thank you for your response.  What I really want to do is change the login name from "admin" to something else.  I already have managed to get the password changed and checked all the security questions to make sure they are accurate.

And, I also would like to know how to make our router private.  Seems that when I set it up, it stayed public.  Not a fan of "public" anything, if you know what I mean.

Message 3 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

Manual...yea...I thought it was forgotten when I opened the box.  Now i just have to find it.

Router model:  AC1750 Smart WiFi Router R6400

Just got a new firmwear update tonight...did not see a number for it....where do I find that?

Message 4 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

Could not find the manual....all I saw was an inforamtion page with an option to purchse.  I was hoping to find a download of the manual, but it did not really show up on the support page ...maybe wrong page?  Not sure, but did not see anything that was familiar.

Message 5 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

ahah...never mind.  I finaly found it...but it was not obvious.  Seems odd that when I log in then go to support for anything I am offered another "login" box?  Can't stay in my account for that?  Anyway, I did find it....but the two questions I want answers to are not really noted.

1.  How to change the "Admin" login name to something else, and 

2.  How to make our router private instead of public.

Message 6 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

The user name admin can not be changed.  But it is a great thing you already changed the password.

The support page for your router is:   https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6400.aspx

The manual can be found at:   http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6400/R6400_UM_07Aug2015.pdf

The SSID (Wireless Network Name) can be hidden but I would not do that until I got everything else setup.

You should reserve all your IP addresses after you get everything, including cell phones, hooked up to your new routers network.

Message 7 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

I forgot something importanat.  Before you do anything else update your firmware to the latest one.  Several security fixes came out in the latest firmware.

Then after the update.  Reset your router by pressing in the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and begins to blink.

Then change the password back to the one you changed it to previously.

Message 8 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

Thank you very much for this input.  So, why can't we change the "admin" login name?  That makes no sense....it gives anyone 1/2 of a 2pc puzzle...not very secure.

Reserving all our IP addresses?  We only have our pcs hooked up ...I don't have anything else and my son uses Verizon phone so he does not use our internet.  We both are cable connected to the router rather than WiFi...since we both play online games, there is less lag that way, as long as Comcast network cooperates.

But how do I make our router private?

Message 9 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

I forgot something importanat.  Before you do anything else update your firmware to the latest one.  Several security fixes came out in the latest firmware.

Already did this

Then after the update.  Reset your router by pressing in the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and begins to blink. Why do I have to reset ??  I already rebooted...

Then change the password back to the one you changed it to previously.  Why do I need to go backwards?

Message 10 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

To hide the SSID open up the web browser to the routers admin page.  Then under the Basic tab select Wireless.  On the Wireless Setup page uncheck the Enable SSID Broadcast boxes.  Click Apply at the top of the page.

I guess with only two devices it would not be helpful to reserve IP addresses.  But if your son wants to connect his cell phone up to the network I would reserve IP addresses because cell phones leave the house and when they return they sometimes receive a new IP address that is the same as one of your computers and neither the computer or the phone will be able to use the network if that happens.  And it has happened to me.

Message 11 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

Reason for reset.  It is very common to have router problems after completing a firmware change until/unless a reset of the router is done.

When you reset the router the password you used will be changed back to the original password.  In fact all settings will be back to the original default settings.  Then you will need to change the password back to what you changed it to in the first place.

Message 12 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

I am more confused now.  Does hiding the SSID make our router private?  and can it be reversed if we want to?

I don't understand why this is so difficult...and I have no idea what the deal is with reserving...ip addressess...I thought those were the items doing that not the router.  Its like every time I have to cycle the modem, Comcast gives us a new ip address to use.  So how would that play into the router issue.

I am really not understanding this.

Message 13 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

oh lordy....I don't even remember the original ones so how will I even be able to log in just to reset the new password?

Message 14 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

The router is secured by a Password (Network Key) found on the same page as the Enable SSID Broadcast boxes.  This network key has to be used by anyone who wants to connect to your wireless network.  Broadcasting the SSID (Network Name) allows other people to see and try to connect to your network, but they must know your network key in order to connect to your network.  So your wireless network is private even when you don't uncheck those Enable SSID Broadcast boxes.

Message 15 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

The original password is printed on the bottom of the router.  It is usually password for Netgear routers. 

Message 16 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

You have been most helpful to me.  I do appreciate it very much...and thank you for that bit of info.  Its late and I am off to bed so I'll work on the reset tomorrow when I'm not tired.

Again, thank you very much for your input.

Message 17 of 21
IrvSp
Master

Not sure what you mean by making the router private?

Once you enable security you basically make it so that it can only be used with that secure passphrase? Wired will connect without it, but to do so you must physically attach to the router.

Hiding the SSID doesn't make it 'private', all it does is make it 'invisible'. That is one can only connect to it be using 'other' and entering the SSID name and then the passphrase.

I wonder if you are confusing Windows network designation of 'public' and 'private'? If this is the case, check http://www.howtogeek.com/245982/whats-the-difference-between-private-and-public-networks-in-windows/ this page out. It is the type of network, not the state of the router.

Message 18 of 21

Remember, there are different passwords for wifi and for router access.

Likewise, the access username (admin) is not the same as the wifi SSID.

You can't change the access username from admin, but the password should be enough to keep people out.

So, even if someone has wifi access through the modem, there is nothing that they can do to meddle around with the router's settings.

Message 19 of 21
Friedbones
Guide

Finally managed to setup and change all passwords on the router with regard to the WiFi as well.  I need to remember never to try this kind of stuff when I am tired.  First thing this morning I was able to, not only accesss the router without all the hullabalu I experienced last night, but reset after firmwear update, and changed all the passwords.

I was confusing the router with the online account login info...no wonder I was unable to get anything to work last night.  Once I understood what I did wrong last night, I was able to get everything fixed up and all the necessary PWs adjusted.  So all is good now.

I want to thank everyone who responded and helped me with this last night and this morning.  I appreciate all the help.

Message 20 of 21

@Friedbones wrote:

Finally managed to setup and change all passwords on the router with regard to the WiFi as well.

That's good new. Well done.

@Friedbones wrote:

I was confusing the router with the online account login info...

There can't be many people who haven't done something similar. I should have thought of that one when I warned about the wifi and router passwords.

If you mark your message as solved it might help a fellow sufferer who turns up with a similar problem.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7