Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SSID configuration on RAX200

czarekkb
Tutor

SSID configuration on RAX200

My router model is: Netgear Nighthawk AX12 RAX200. Its Smart Connect feature permits one single SSID to be assigned to all three radios: 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1, 5GHz-2. Instead of using this option, I would like to use one SSID for 2.4GHz radio and another, different SSID for BOTH 5GHz radios.

Router setup web app has indeed permitted me to assign one SSID to 2.4GHz radio and another, different SSID to BOTH 5GHz radios. Does this mean that the router will effectively route the incoming 5GHz connections to either one of the 5GHz radios?

Also, to mention this, from router stats, I can see that, so far, only 5GHz-1 radio is showing data traffic, and there is almost zero traffic on 5GHz-2 radio.

Thank you for reviewing and sharing any potential insights on this!

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
czarekkb
Tutor

Thank you again for advising.

Just to share one observation… When I changed the config to use a unique SSID for 5GHz-2 radio, the router traffic stats immediately started to show some traffic on 5GHz-2 radio – without any devices even connected to it yet. It seemed as if as soon as the 5GHz-2 radio started to use its own SSID, it became visibly “active” in router stats view.    

Upon reflection, I will use the setup, where each radio has its own unique SSID. It will allow me to put computers on 5GHz-2 radio and do streaming on 5GHz-1 radio – thus separating “work” traffic (frequent backups over WiFi) from “play” traffic.

Thank you so very much for all your time and sharing your expertise. MOST tremendously appreciated. Happy Holidays!  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@czarekkb wrote:

My router model is: Netgear Nighthawk AX12 RAX200. Its Smart Connect feature permits one single SSID to be assigned to all three radios: 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1, 5GHz-2. Instead of using this option, I would like to use one SSID for 2.4GHz radio and another, different SSID for BOTH 5GHz radios.

Router setup web app has indeed permitted me to assign one SSID to 2.4GHz radio and another, different SSID to BOTH 5GHz radios. Does this mean that the router will effectively route the incoming 5GHz connections to either one of the 5GHz radios? Yes. 

Also, to mention this, from router stats, I can see that, so far, only 5GHz-1 radio is showing data traffic, and there is almost zero traffic on 5GHz-2 radio. It's up to devices to pick and chose which frequency they connect too. Some may prefer the 1 radio over the other. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk RAX WiFi 6 Router products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif...

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
czarekkb
Tutor

Thank you so much for advising – most tremendously appreciated. (Also, thank you for pointing out the correct community to post to.)

In such configuration (e.g., one single SSID for two 5GHz radios), will RAX200 perform any type of load balancing between the two 5GHz radios when connecting the devices to one radio or the other?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

There maybe some balancing, however again, it's up to devices to pick and choose what signal they connect too...I presume there router helps on some level. To how much, no idea. 

Something to test out. If you name the SSIDs differently then you can help force some devices to specific radios. 

Message 4 of 6
czarekkb
Tutor

Thank you again for advising.

Just to share one observation… When I changed the config to use a unique SSID for 5GHz-2 radio, the router traffic stats immediately started to show some traffic on 5GHz-2 radio – without any devices even connected to it yet. It seemed as if as soon as the 5GHz-2 radio started to use its own SSID, it became visibly “active” in router stats view.    

Upon reflection, I will use the setup, where each radio has its own unique SSID. It will allow me to put computers on 5GHz-2 radio and do streaming on 5GHz-1 radio – thus separating “work” traffic (frequent backups over WiFi) from “play” traffic.

Thank you so very much for all your time and sharing your expertise. MOST tremendously appreciated. Happy Holidays!  

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working.  Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Merry Christmas. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7