Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Settings to connect Nighthawk 5G Mobile Hotspot to Nighthawk R7000P

Settings to connect Nighthawk 5G Mobile Hotspot to Nighthawk R7000P

Hi All - I'm at my end of my own trials here to get this connected well. The issue is we live in the country but we actually have 5G cell signal here, so I just upgraded our plan to get better speeds and also refreshed our hardware to be capable of the 5G speeds. Our prior set up was the ATT Home Base wireless internet (LTE only) connected to my Nighthawk R7000P (two different IP addresses so they don't conflict) and all was working ok (20ish Mbs) for 3 yrs until about 3 weeks ago when it all started crawling 0.1Mbs... But now I just can't figure out the right settings. I want the benefits of the R7000P for bandwidth load balancing, NAS connections, so I want all home devices connected to that router but I want the 5G mobile hotspot to serve as the ISP. 

I tried IP passthrough on 5G mobile hotspot with DCHP offf - it FAILED - the R7000P does not connect to internet

Does anyone know the best settings? I'm getting 80Mbps on my phone connected to the hotspot. I'd like to access those speeds through the better router. 

Thank you in advance

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Settings to connect Nighthawk 5G Mobile Hotspot to Nighthawk R7000P

@homenet_local wrote:

so I just upgraded our plan to get better speeds and also refreshed our hardware to be capable of the 5G speeds.

What is the hardware that is actually delivering the Internet?

What has replaced the "the ATT Home Base wireless internet"?

Hard to guess how you need to set up the R7000P without knowing that.

@homenet_local wrote:

I want the benefits of the R7000P for bandwidth load balancing, NAS connections, so I want all home devices connected to that router but I want the 5G mobile hotspot to serve as the ISP. 

How do you plan to connect the NAS to the R7000P?

Sounds like you want to use the unnamed "5G mobile hotspot" as a router that feeds the R7000P as an access point or repeater. (Two  routers side by side is a bad idea.) Or maybe you are trying to create two completely separate networks with no connection between them.

Message 2 of 5

Hi! Thank you for your help @michaelkenward 

The internet is supplied by the Netgear Nighthawk 5G Mobile Hotsopt MR5100 service is AT&T (https://www.att.com/device-support/index/Netgear/MR5100/) 

The NAS would connect to the R7000P  via ethernet cable

Is setting up wth R7000P as an access point the best option?

Message 3 of 5

@homenet_local wrote:

Is setting up wth R7000P as an access point the best option?

Connecting a modem/mobile hotspot is a regular issue in this community. The router doesn't really matter. So the best place to ask about it is here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

Start with the manual for the MR5100.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

I am not familiar with the process involved in marrying a hotspot to a router. But you could check the section Offload Your Mobile Internet Connection in the manual.

Other options cloud be as an access point or in Bridge Mode.

But as I say the best place to ask about that is in the other section.

If you don't want to have any connection between the NASs and the outside world, then you can see if it works to set up an internal network based on the R7000P.

Message 4 of 5

@michaelkenward Thank you I will go look over there and see what I can find. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7