Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup A New Router from an old Router Ex. R7800 to a R9000

derosbys
Tutor

Setup A New Router from an old Router Ex. R7800 to a R9000

So, I've seen a lot of posts where someone asks about importing the config from the older router to the newer router and we all know this is a no-no.  The best suggestion I have is to take the old Router and New Router and set them side by side.  Plug a laptop into the new Router and set your network IP to be on the same network as the new modem and log on to it.  Using a Web Browser, change the IP address of the new router to be on the same network as the old modem (You will change the IP of the new modem after you complete all of these steps).  You can now disconnect the new router from your laptop and plug the new one into a switch on your network.  Now that this has been accomplished, go to a web browser and connect to the Old Router and then open another web browser and connect to your New Router.  Position the browsers side by side (it is recommended to have two screens on your computer/laptop so you can put one browser on one screen and the other browser on the opposite screen).  Now that you can see both routers, go to each screen setting and copy / paste what you can from the old Router to the New one.  Select the same settings.  There may be a thing or two that you cannot to until you actually replace the old Router with the New Router.  If you encounter anything, just document that.  I'm sure it will not be much if anything but the main IP address. This is also a good time to correct some names of equipment you have done port forwarding to a name you prefer better without any equipment going down while you are configuring the new router.  Once you are done, you can change the IP address of your Old Router (in case you want to connect to it later) and document that IP address on the Old Router. Unplug the old Router and power it off).  Change the IP address of the New Router to the original IP of the Old Router and you everything should work as expected.  I believe this is better than screen prints from your old Router and a lot of documentation because if you missed something, you would have to trouble shoot and that is what we are trying to avoid.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Setup A New Router from an old Router Ex. R7800 to a R9000

Can be different ways to do that. Or you can set it up in a double NAT condition like you did.

I prefer to set a incoming new router off line from anything, Just a PC and get it configured, though I mostly don't make tons of changes, I just set up the router for minimal configuration, WIFI SSID name and channels. Change the default IP address pool size to some thing smaller for my needs. Once the incoming router is ready, I reboot the ISP modem, connect up any network LAN cables from the old router to the new router, turn ON the new router and place it in the old routers position. Once the new router is online and ready, turn OFF the old router and all my WIFI devices migrate to the new router seamlessly. Usually by the time all that's done, the ISP modem is back to ready and internet services is ready as well. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Or you can just take screenshots of the old router and look at them while configuring the new one...
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Can be different ways to do that. Or you can set it up in a double NAT condition like you did.

I prefer to set a incoming new router off line from anything, Just a PC and get it configured, though I mostly don't make tons of changes, I just set up the router for minimal configuration, WIFI SSID name and channels. Change the default IP address pool size to some thing smaller for my needs. Once the incoming router is ready, I reboot the ISP modem, connect up any network LAN cables from the old router to the new router, turn ON the new router and place it in the old routers position. Once the new router is online and ready, turn OFF the old router and all my WIFI devices migrate to the new router seamlessly. Usually by the time all that's done, the ISP modem is back to ready and internet services is ready as well. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7