Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow speed on 5G

R7000Dual-Band
Aspirant

Slow speed on 5G

With my previous router I got 105Mbps download speed on 2.4G and 300Mbps download speed on 5G. I replaced it with a Netgear R7000 dual-band router. With my new Netgear R7000 router I get 85Mpps download speed on 2.4G and 115Mbps download speed on 5G. Both routers have factory settings. I'm using the same cable modem (Netgear).

What can I do to match the Linksys router speed?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Slow speed on 5G

@R7000Dual-Band wrote:

Factory settings - I meant as it came out of the box,  I have no idea what those are.  They change with various firmware versions.

I changed the SSID and password for WiFi. Good.

I bought this a while ago, it is a NetGear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000 Firmware V1.0.11.126_10.2.112 (latest according to check for update).  Check for update from the user interface can lag behind actual updates by several weeks or more.  Strongly recommend manual firmware update via a wired connection to the router.  Current version for manual update is Firmware Version 1.0.11.136

Smart Connect - Not enabled (my 5G has a different SSID) Good

Dynamic QoS - enabled  Recommend you not enable Dynamic QOS.  It is taking processing cycles away from your router and also disables cut through forwarding that is necessary for top efficiency of your router.  What wired download capacity do you purchase from your ISP?

Traffic Meter - Not enabled Good

IPv6 - Not enabled  Does your ISP support IPv6?  Who is your ISP?

2.4 GHz channel selection - Auto  The Auto part takes processing cycles away from the router while it is searching channels.  Recommend channel 11, 1, or 6 in that order.

5 GHz channel selection - 161 Good

Using Ookla Speed Test Good

What is the model number of your Netgear modem?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@R7000Dual-Band wrote:

With my previous router I got 105Mbps download speed on 2.4G and 300Mbps download speed on 5G. I replaced it with a Netgear R7000 dual-band router. With my new Netgear R7000 router I get 85Mpps download speed on 2.4G and 115Mbps download speed on 5G. Both routers have factory settings. I'm using the same cable modem (Netgear).

What can I do to match the Linksys router speed?

Fine tune the settings on your R7000.  There are a lot of variables with Wi-Fi.

The term “factory settings” provides little if any information.

What is the specific model number of your Netgear cable modem?

Did you reboot your cable modem after you disconnected your previous router and before you connected your R7000?

What specific firmware version is installed on your R7000?  Number only, “The Latest” does not qualify as an answer.

Did you perform a firmware default reset after the current firmware was installed?

Is Smart Connect enabled?

Is Dynamic QOS enabled?

Is Traffic Meter enabled?

Is IPv6 enabled?  If your ISP supports it, it should be enabled.

Is the 2.4 GHz channel selection on Auto?

Is the 5 GHz channel selection on Auto?

How are you measuring throughput?  Recommend the Ookla native application for your operating system.

Message 2 of 5
R7000Dual-Band
Aspirant

Factory settings - I meant as it came out of the box, I changed the SSID and password for WiFi.

I bought this a while ago, it is a NetGear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000 Firmware V1.0.11.126_10.2.112 (latest according to check for update).

Smart Connect - Not enabled (my 5G has a different SSID)

Dynamic QoS - enabled

Traffic Meter - Not enabled

IPv6 - Not enabled

2.4 GHz channel selection - Auto

5 GHz channel selection - 161

Using Ookla Speed Test

Message 3 of 5
Kitsap
Master

@R7000Dual-Band wrote:

Factory settings - I meant as it came out of the box,  I have no idea what those are.  They change with various firmware versions.

I changed the SSID and password for WiFi. Good.

I bought this a while ago, it is a NetGear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000 Firmware V1.0.11.126_10.2.112 (latest according to check for update).  Check for update from the user interface can lag behind actual updates by several weeks or more.  Strongly recommend manual firmware update via a wired connection to the router.  Current version for manual update is Firmware Version 1.0.11.136

Smart Connect - Not enabled (my 5G has a different SSID) Good

Dynamic QoS - enabled  Recommend you not enable Dynamic QOS.  It is taking processing cycles away from your router and also disables cut through forwarding that is necessary for top efficiency of your router.  What wired download capacity do you purchase from your ISP?

Traffic Meter - Not enabled Good

IPv6 - Not enabled  Does your ISP support IPv6?  Who is your ISP?

2.4 GHz channel selection - Auto  The Auto part takes processing cycles away from the router while it is searching channels.  Recommend channel 11, 1, or 6 in that order.

5 GHz channel selection - 161 Good

Using Ookla Speed Test Good

What is the model number of your Netgear modem?

Message 4 of 5
R7000Dual-Band
Aspirant

Choosing channel 11 over auto (for 2.4 GHz) made no measurable improvement for me, however, disabling Q0S did! My Netgear router pretty much matches the speed I used to get on my Linksys router. Thank you!!!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7