Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed dropped from 900Mbps to 200Mpbs when connecting Netgear R6400v2 Router to Cable modem

cyberphox
Initiate

Speed dropped from 900Mbps to 200Mpbs when connecting Netgear R6400v2 Router to Cable modem

I have Verizon Gigabit Internet at home and when I try connecting my computer to the cable modem directly, I was able to get the speed around 900Mbps but after connecting the Cable Modem to the router (R6400v2) and then connecting my computer to one of the LAN port, the speed drop to around 200Mbps.  Wifi speed seems to be around the same (200Mbps) too

Any thoughts on what's going on here and how to address the problem? Thank you!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Speed dropped from 900Mbps to 200Mpbs when connecting Netgear R6400v2 Router to Cable modem

A couple things. 

1. what modem/gateway is it from verizon?

2. What firmware is on the router? 

3. Try factory resetting the router. During the install make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. The R6400 is a base model gigabit AC router. Those features can disable controls that are needed to hit gigabit speeds. 

Message 2 of 4
cyberphox
Initiate

Re: Speed dropped from 900Mbps to 200Mpbs when connecting Netgear R6400v2 Router to Cable modem

Thank you so much @plemans !

I am not sure how do I find out? We just have it installed two weeks ago and here is the photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r5fck8gsic3bn0/unnamed.jpeg?dl=0

I believe I just installed the latest one:

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.120_10.0.91

3. Try factory resetting the router. During the install make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. The R6400 is a base model gigabit AC router. Those features can disable controls that are needed to hit gigabit speeds. 

Will try -- thank you!

Message 3 of 4

@cyberphox wrote:

Thank you so much @plemans !

I am not sure how do I find out? We just have it installed two weeks ago and here is the photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r5fck8gsic3bn0/unnamed.jpeg?dl=0

There is no need to post photos behind possibly dangerous links on third party websites. You can simply attach an image to your messages here. Look at the bottom of your message for the "Choose File" link.

Most hardware has a label on the bottom that tells you what it is. 

@cyberphox wrote:

I believe I just installed the latest one:

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.120_10.0.91

Indeed it is.

R6400v2 Firmware Version 1.0.4.120 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just a week or so old.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies