Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed limited on X6 AC3200

BigOunce
Aspirant

Speed limited on X6 AC3200

Hello everyone.
I have a strange issue with my X6 Nighthawk. I have Virgin Media 600MBPS internet but I only ever get 210MBPS on 5Ghz channels even when next to the X6 router. I am currently using the Virgin Hub 3 as a modem using the supplied Ethernet cable that came with the X6 to connect them. I even tried using a newer CAT Ethernet cable but it didn’t increase the speed. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what’s going on ? Any help would be appreciated!
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Speed limited on X6 AC3200

A lot of wireless speed is dependant on the device you're testing on. 

a 1x1 client is going to half the speed of a 2x2 client. And even the R8000's average throughput was never that great being a triband. The tribands allow more devices to be spread out on the 2x 5ghz bands for a higher total throughput but not necessarily higher peak throughput. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32489-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6-review-pa...

Message 2 of 8
BigOunce
Aspirant

I’m using an iPhone 12 Pro Max for the tests. So does that mean I’m going to have to buy a faster router ?
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

the R8000 is a solid triband AC router. 

Like I said, the benefit to the triband is the 2x 5ghz bands so you can spread devices out and have more than 1 device using a lot of bandwidth.

What do you need more speed for? Most streaming devices only user around 25-40mbps for 4k. and gaming is even less than that. 

You'll only really see a benefit if you're doing large file downloads. 

Message 4 of 8
BigOunce
Aspirant

The other issue is it still is capped while using the Ethernet ports. I have it directly plugged into my PS5 but I only get 200Mbps over Ethernet
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Try it with something other than the ps5. it isn't a reliable indicator 

computer/pc

Message 6 of 8
BigOunce
Aspirant

I’ve tried it with my PC but it’s still the same, fluctuates around 200 mbps
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

2x things to try. 

1 factory reset the router. during the install, leave qos, parental controls, access controls, and traffic monitoring all disabled. 

if that doesn't work then try 

2. put the vigin hub in router mode (disable its wifi) and the netgear in access point mode. 

I've seen several times where the vigin hub's gateway didn't function properly in passthrough mode. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7