Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Status of IPv6 Firewall configuration on R7000

sparhawk765
Tutor

Status of IPv6 Firewall configuration on R7000

Hi there.

I have been looking through some old and semirecent threads about the ability to configure the IPv6 firewall in the R7000.

Unfortunatly my router is way passed the support-life so I doubt I can open a case with the question so I figured I'd try and see if there is any new information to be had here?

I tried using a 3d-party firmware but due a severe lack in performance when running on 3d-party firmware I can't really use that.

Any Rep reading this forum that can give any information about the state of this? Is it available somehow? Or is it a planned feature in a not do distant future?

// Mattias

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
sparhawk765
Tutor

Re: Status of IPv6 Firewall configuration on R7000

Hi there.

Since the software in the R700o doesnt allow me to configure inbound firewall rules for IPv6 I solved my problem by getting other router which does and just run the R7000 as an AP. Not the most optimal but at least it works.

So no, consider this case closed.

// Mattias

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi sparhawk765,

The IPv6 configuration is limited for the R7000. You may check the KB article below for IPv6 settings that the router supports.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24006/~/how-do-i-set-up-an-ipv6-internet-connection-on...

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 14
microchip8
Master

What kind "lack of perfromance" do you get on 3rd party firmware and which 3rd party firmware did you use? I can confirm that on Tomato Shibby, the R7000 runs like a beast, even better than on stock firmware.

Message 3 of 14
sparhawk765
Tutor

Hey microchip8!

It was acually Tomato Shibby I tried out and as for the performance I went from around 950Mbit down to 350-400Mbit using pretty basic settings. Standard NAT/Firewall setup. I guess it's possible I missed something vital in the setup of Shibby since I didn't play around with it for any extended period of time.

I have since then put other router in front of it and currently use it in AP-mode.

Message 4 of 14
sparhawk765
Tutor

Hey JamesGL!

Thanks for the response. I have already configured the router with it's basic IPv6 support and it's autodetection gave me a 6to4-tunnel from my ISP and gave my internal units their IPv6 addresses so that's all well and good.

What I couldn't find anywhere was if there was a way to configure the IPv6-firewall to allow some services through. From what I have seen on the forum there isn't but just to be sure. Any information regarding future plans to implement this was also hard to come by.

// Mattias

Message 5 of 14
microchip8
Master

@sparhawk765

did you turn CTF on? It's off by default. CTF is the hardware acceleration which is needed for anything above 300 Mbps. Without it, the CPU chokes. Note that CTF is incompatible with some things like QoS and any other thing that needs to inspect packets.

Message 6 of 14
sparhawk765
Tutor

Hey again.

Hmm, I'm not sure I did accually. I might have to give this another go and see what 's what with this.

You seem to know your way around shibby, how is the ipv6 support? I'm mostly interested in the ability to selectively allow incoming traffic over v6 and the ability to use 6in4-tunnel.

// Mattias

Message 7 of 14
microchip8
Master

You can enable CTF in Advanced -> Miscellaneous

As for IPv6 stuff, it's on-par with what most other vendor firmwares offer. Not sure on the selective traffic, but using tunnels is not a problem. You can also port forward IPv6. for the rest I'm afraid you'll need to do it manually with SSH/Telnet login and hacking the ip6tables rules (running your own scripts is one way of doing it)

Message 8 of 14
sparhawk765
Tutor

Cool, thank you for the help.

I will def. check this out and see how it fares. I got myself a Ubiquity EdgeRouter since it supported all the things I needed and had on par performance but it feels kind of wasteful to run the R7000 in AP-mode. It's a really good router hardware-wise. 🙂

Again, thanks for the assist.

// Mattias

Message 9 of 14
conradka
Aspirant

Trying to set up the router and it is blocking my Tivo. Something amiss.  Netgear genie cannot find the router ( which works).  .  Says turn on IPV6 but it is turned on but when I look at network settings, there is no address for IPV6

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi sparhawk765,

Do you have IPv6 connection from ISP?

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 11 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi sparhawk765,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 12 of 14
sparhawk765
Tutor

Hi there.

Since the software in the R700o doesnt allow me to configure inbound firewall rules for IPv6 I solved my problem by getting other router which does and just run the R7000 as an AP. Not the most optimal but at least it works.

So no, consider this case closed.

// Mattias

Message 13 of 14
microchip8
Master

you could just have loaded Tomato on it instead of throwing money at the problem. Tomato supports what you need in IPv6

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7