Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear email -> Apple Store -> firmware upgrade -> brick

Godley
Aspirant

Strange mail from Netgear?

We've improved your security.
Please download the latest firmware to stay up-to-date.
LEARN HOW TO DOWNLOAD
For more information about the security enhancements, please visit our Security Advisory Page and enter your model number in the Security Advisory Search box, then press Enter.

This message was intended for

NETGEAR, 350 E. Plumeria Dr., San Jose, CA 95134

To ensure you receive our emails, please add security@e.netgear.com to your address book.

NETGEAR, the NETGEAR logo and Nighthawk are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of NETGEAR, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective holder(s). Information is subject to change without notice.

©2018 NETGEAR. All Rights Reserved.

I get this email today.

I checked my firmware,,,,,,,, but no update.

I think its phishing mail.....what do you think ?

I live in Europe, The Netherlands

Kind regards, Godley

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Strange mail from Netgear?

@Godleywrote:
So is this email Scam.....or does Netgear notify me on a wierd way without the model number.

Yes, they do - it's not Scam. It's common from an official source, the URLs point to official Netgear resources.

The message is generic and not customized for your router model. Unclear if it was sent only to users with router on the myNetgear product registration, or to all MyNetgear accounts which have not opted-out from allowing Netgear to send emails. Undoubted, the message content is lame, and reads like a phishing message - however good email providers have the capaility to reliably detecting scam, phishing, ... nowadays. If you still get these direct to your inbox - change your email provider.

FMI -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Bogus-e-mail/m-p/1540883#M88285 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 22

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I think its phishing mail.....what do you think ?

I can't see the header of your e-mail message.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1540808

Message 2 of 22
William10a
Master

You could go to the Netgear web site and check at the support to see if there is new firmware for your router, without seeing the header hard to say for sure I would wound not trust it to far.You may want to check your system  for any rootkits and spyware with a good anti virus program.

Message 3 of 22

Looks like Netgear is up to its usual tricks, send out an update email just before a holiday weekend:

Re: Update firmware question... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 4 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There was an email scheduled to be sent out around this time of this nature.

You can of course go to www.netgear.com/support and lookup your product and manually check for available updates
Message 5 of 22
Godley
Aspirant

Well...my router and netgear site both says No Update.
My Nighthawk R8000 is healthy

So is this email Scam.....or does Netgear notify me on a wierd way without the model number.

Kind regards
Message 6 of 22
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Surey there is an Email address we can 'forward' the Email too for checking.

Other sites use 'scam.XXXXX.com' or something similar.

Message 7 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Godleywrote:

Yes, they do - it's not Scam. It's common from an official source, the URLs point to official Netgear resources.

The message is generic and not customized for your router model. Unclear if it was sent only to users with router on the myNetgear product registration, or to all MyNetgear accounts which have not opted-out from allowing Netgear to send emails. Undoubted, the message content is lame, and reads like a phishing message - however good email providers have the capaility to reliably detecting scam, phishing, ... nowadays. If you still get these direct to your inbox - change your email provider.

FMI -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Bogus-e-mail/m-p/1540883#M88285 

Message 8 of 22
rbird2
Luminary

I got this email today (from Netgear not SPAM) stating there is a firmware update for my router.

Once again, I check using the router Firmware update feature and check the Netgear website and no Firmware update.

I am getting sick and tired of Netgear sending these emails to me since EVERY time I check there is not a Firmware update.

Netgear, are you just trying to waste my time (and others) and piss us all off? If so, your doing a great job!

Stop sending us these stupid emails unless there is REALLY a Firmware update available for our router.

Message 9 of 22
William10a
Master

Netgear seems like they are trying to a small step toward better router security with the emails, but they need to work the bugs out time will tell how they do. I do not think that it will happpen soon.

Message 10 of 22
antinode
Guru

> [...] they need to work the bugs out time will tell how they do. I do
> not think that it will happpen soon.

That'a a pretty safe bet.  Back around 2018-01-19, I sent the
following private message to ChristineT to complain about this joke when
it was still new:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1445385

> WHAT WE ARE DOING:

What you are not doing:

Posting this message in every relevant forum.

Posting a list of devices with updated firmware available.

Explaining that updated firmware is not available for all devices.

Explaining that ordinary victims with cable modem(+router) devices
            can't install updated firmware, even if it is available.

You can see how effective that was after almost three months.

Message 11 of 22
William10a
Master

Yes a list that told what devices had a firmware update and which do not would help, do you think that there would not be issues if they do that. Their support structure seems more like a three headed dog that can not make it minds, one department passes the puck to another and it gets lost so where in the middle.

Message 12 of 22
ringlord
Apprentice

I also received this email from security@e.netgear.com for my R7000

For the R7000 there is a new firmware : https://kb.netgear.com/000055563/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-28

It "Supports Auto Firmware upgrade"  and  "Fixes security issues"

The last thing that I want is a firmware that automatically updates itself since the chance of breaking things with a new firmware is very high.

Anyway I am running XWRT-VORTEX as firmware on my R7000 and it's much more stable.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@ringlordwrote:

For the R7000 there is a new firmware : https://kb.netgear.com/000055563/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-28

It "Supports Auto Firmware upgrade"  and  "Fixes security issues"

You would have been disappointed - the 1.0.9.28 is not in the automatic update feed yet.

@ringlord wrote:

The last thing that I want is a firmware that automatically updates itself since the chance of breaking things with a new firmware is very high.

Wth the current team of banana planters working on Nighthawk firmware updaes I must fully agreee with you.

Message 14 of 22
tmcgraw
Aspirant

I received this email, which most def comes from Netgear and followed the link to the app store on my iPad. I downloaded the iOS app from Netgear and it went through its paces on the router. The app was never able to log back on, for some reason the Internet is being fed to it, but it doesn't link.

I cannot log on to it when I have it connected via hardware to my R6220 via routerlogin.net nor its IP#, I cannot log into as mentioned using the app - even though it's sending out a WiFi signal - because it's not connected to the internet. For all intents and purposes, the firmware upgrade - which the R8000 needed - via the Apple iOS "Nighthawk" app basically bricked my router. I can't even get the factory defaults back. Does anyone have instructions for flashing the original or last version firmware back to it using terminal logon?

Message 15 of 22

@tmcgraw wrote:

I received this email, which most def comes from Netgear and followed the link to the app store on my iPad. I downloaded the iOS app from Netgear and it went through its paces on the router. The app was never able to log back on, for some reason the Internet is being fed to it, but it doesn't link.

You have joined in on a continuing discussion. Changing the subject does not make it a new query.

I suggest starting your own entry with a better clue as to what hardware you are talking about.

You have R6220 in the text but R8000 in the "footer".

Message 16 of 22
tmcgraw
Aspirant

@michaelkenwardwrote:

> You have joined in on a continuing discussion. Changing the subject does not make it a new query.

I posted here because it was the only information online about the email that precipitated the firmware upgrade, considering it might be helpful for anyone else who took the same path, but I will start a new topic.

> I suggest starting your own entry with a better clue as to what hardware you are talking about.

> You have R6220 in the text but R8000 in the "footer".

I have two routers but you can only put one model in the footer, but you probably already knew that.

Message 17 of 22

@tmcgraw wrote:

> You have R6220 in the text but R8000 in the "footer".

I have two routers but you can only put one model in the footer, but you probably already knew that.

Wrong, but if you can't work out how to add two devices – see my footer to this message – put that information in the text, don't leave us to guess.

It is also wrong to say that I already knew that. People often have one device but get the footer wrong.

If you have two routers, that could be the issue.

But do yourself a favour and start a new discussion.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router,R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 18 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@tmcgrawwrote:

The email we've received has a link to How to update firmware on your NETGEAR product - from there it says to follow the information from the release notes. For the R6220 R6230 Firmware Version 1.1.0.64 it says download and extract the CHK file, log in to the router using a web browser, and from there use Maintenance > Router Upgrade. No word of using the Nightawk App (which was named Up! not so long ago).

Unclear what should be the "went through it's paces" - when I'm trying to access a router using the Nighthawk App and push it through a set-up of a previously working and configured router it does ask if I really want to do this.

Message 19 of 22
Benny_Cemoli
Initiate

I received the same email just recently. And after checking for firmware updates from the router itself and the router itself not finding an update I came to the conclusion that this was simply a poor, hamfisted attempt by the Netgear's marketing department to get us to download the "Nighthawk App" for whatever reason they felt it necessary we do so.

I'm hoping that Netgear isn't going to start emailing these somewhat deceptive marketing emails out as a rule as they don't reflect well on the Netgear brand.

We've improved your security.
Download the latest firmware to stay up-to-date.
Use the Nighthawk App (formerly NETGEAR Up) to update your firmware. Just download the app and open it while connected to your NETGEAR WiFi at home.

Watch this video to learn how.

Download the app here:

App Store
Google Store
For more information about the security enhancements, please visit our Security Advisory Page and enter your model number in the Security Advisory Search box, then press Enter.

If you don't have an iOS or Android capable device, visit this page.
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 20 of 22

@Benny_Cemoli wrote:

I came to the conclusion that this was simply a poor, hamfisted attempt by the Netgear's marketing department to get us to download the "Nighthawk App" for whatever reason they felt it necessary we do so.

That's about the most sensible interpretation I have seen of this episode.

Message 21 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Benny_Cemoli wrote:

I received the same email just recently.

xx

Similar, but essentially different mail from the one quoted initially which does have no signs of the Nighthawk App. Lack of a new quote, this caused confusion before. Now the uneducated reader here can understand this a little bit better. Still lame (the mass emails, not the community rant) indeed.
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7