Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Support in China

frankbuck
Aspirant

Support in China

Hi,

I live in Shanghai, China and recently bought a R7000 here in China.

After unwrapping and connecting it asked for a firmware update, which I started. After that I never get in contact with it again. I'm not an expert but a nerdy friend had it over and said it's completely bricked. No contact at all.

So, reported it online, got a case number and everything, but I have to call support in China for further action. Not speaking a work of Chinese I'm kind of stuck.

Quiestion: anyone know if there is an English speaking Netgear support channel in China? Can I take it somewhere else?

My friend is really nerdy (20+ years of experience in computer and network business) and he has given up on it 😞

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Support in China

Hi frankbuck,

Click on the link below to contact support.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

-Select "Get help on my NETGEAR product"

-Select your country

-Enter the serial number of your router

-Then select  "I cannot find an answer to my problem, I would like to contact NETGEAR support."

-Select Open an email ticket

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies

Message 2 of 15
William10a
Master

What is the router doing, what are the lights on the router doing?

Message 3 of 15
frankbuck
Aspirant

I will ask him. Thank you for the tip!

Message 4 of 15
frankbuck
Aspirant

This is what my friend wrote me back regarding the firmware update:

----------------------------

Hi, this process (the FTFP thing) didn't even work, because the router is completely bricked.  What is needed now is to take apart the cable, and use a special cable to connect to the router and then to upload the software.  I can't even set a static IP for the computer, because it doesn't see the router.  So, a more drastic intervention is required!

----------------------------

What do I do? What cable is he talking about? Can't get in contact with Netgear China because of language barrier. Is it at all likely they will swap it for a thing like this? Is it at all possible to repair a router this bricked? What are your experiences?

Message 5 of 15
William10a
Master

Here is a link with how to do instructions https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-set-serial-console-netgear-r7000-nighthawk-wi-fi-router

I hope that this helps.

Message 6 of 15
frankbuck
Aspirant

@William10a wrote:

What is the router doing, what are the lights on the router doing?

Solid white light, no response to reset...

Message 7 of 15
frankbuck
Aspirant

So no people from Netgear in here? I would really like a solution to this, and how to get in contact with Netgear....

Message 8 of 15
William10a
Master

If the router is bricked you may be able to use a serial cable attached the main circuit board to reflash it will leave a link if you want.

Message 9 of 15
frankbuck
Aspirant

@William10a wrote:

If the router is bricked you may be able to use a serial cable attached the main circuit board to reflash it will leave a link if you want.

Hi William,

Thank you, you already posted that I think, much appreciated. But I am looking for Netgear to take some responsibilty in their product, that didn't manage to do a firmware update.

I can not do those modifications to the router myself...and I think it's more a matter of someone knowing the right path to Netgear and their support people here in China.

Right now I'm stuck with a useless product, and I would really like to see it work again!

Again, thanks for your reply!

Message 10 of 15
William10a
Master

Have you checked to see what rights as consumer in China you may have under their warrnety laws to help, I also feel if you sale it you should make it right if it breaks.

Message 11 of 15
frankbuck
Aspirant

@William10a wrote:

Have you checked to see what rights as consumer in China you may have under their warrnety laws to help, I also feel if you sale it you should make it right if it breaks.

Well, that's why I so desperately want to get in contact with an English speaking person, to know my rights and if it is fixable under warranty etc. But apparently no one from Netgear or close is in this forum 😞

Message 12 of 15
frankbuck
Aspirant

Anyone? ...Netgear? Where are you when we need you?

There must be some sort of Global support channel that can answer questions like mine! I'm stuck here, your product is broken and I need someone to fix it!

Message 13 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi frankbuck,

Click on the link below to contact support.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

-Select "Get help on my NETGEAR product"

-Select your country

-Enter the serial number of your router

-Then select  "I cannot find an answer to my problem, I would like to contact NETGEAR support."

-Select Open an email ticket

Message 14 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi frankbuck,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7