Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switching between 2.4g and 5g.

swami7774
Tutor

Switching between 2.4g and 5g.

I have a Nighthawk r7000. It offers two networks: 2.4G and 5G. Should I be able to manually switch between the 2 networks? I just tried to switch from 5 to 2.4(just to test it and make sure it was working), and I got an "unable to join network" message. Then I tried again, and my device (iPad) couldn't even SEE the 2.4g. FYI I recently downloaded the most recent firmware (1.0.5.44). Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Re: Switching between 2.4g and 5g.

Simply changine SSID's and passwords shouldn't change anything other than clients will have to re-authorize on the new SSID.

However, I have seen the router work fine and brick itself on a reboot 😞

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
netwrks
Master

General rule - reset the router to factory default after all firmware upgrades and reconfigure from scratch

Message 2 of 12
swami7774
Tutor

I did the reverse: reset, then downloaded(I was having lots of trouble with the 5G). I reset to factory settings. Should I reset again?

Message 3 of 12
netwrks
Master

The process is: load new firmware. Reset to factory defualt. Config from scratch. 

Message 4 of 12
swami7774
Tutor

Well, since  I can't undo what I already did(reset, then new firmware), I'll take your answer as a "yes"--I should now reset. Although I;'ll be resetting to settings that are already in the router. 

Message 5 of 12
netwrks
Master

Yes, that is correct. The reset to factory will give you a fresh clean slate. Another rule of thunb: Do not reload a configuration file from a previous version of firmware, onto a new version of firmware.

Message 6 of 12
swami7774
Tutor

Pardon my un-techiness, but I assume that means don't try to lay older firmware on top of newer. 

Message 7 of 12
netwrks
Master

Don't lay a older router configuration - (how it set up / configured on new firmware).

Message 8 of 12
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Back to the original problem, did you give each band a different SSID? Typically you use a name for the 2.4Ghz, and then name-5g for the 5Ghz band.

If the problem still exists and seems constrained to Apple devices, then make sure WMM is enabled in the router (under QoS settings).

Message 9 of 12
swami7774
Tutor

Been away for a few days--sorry! I have not yet tried to assign names and passwords to the 2 bands, Figured I'd leave well enough along--unless you can assure me that changing the names (which, ideally, I'd like to do) won't mess it up again. 

Message 10 of 12
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Simply changine SSID's and passwords shouldn't change anything other than clients will have to re-authorize on the new SSID.

However, I have seen the router work fine and brick itself on a reboot 😞

Message 11 of 12
swami7774
Tutor

I've seen it too, which is exactly why I'm inclined to leave it as is. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7