Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The WAN port connectivity stopped working

Roblow
Aspirant

The WAN port connectivity stopped working

For the first time in the history of me using the Nighthawk X4S R7800 router, I used the Automatic update feature (usually I manually update it and install it after checking the hash).  However, after the update went through (I didn't notice an error on MD5, but I may not have been looking), the WAN port connectivity stopped working, with a caveat that it can be pinged from the device in front of it (the modem).

The equipment is below:

Verizon FiOS Gateway router (nothing fancy)

Nighthawk X4S R7800

Connections go from the Fiber box via ethernet to the FiOS router to the WAN port, then one of the LAN ports is configured to link back to the WAN port on the Nighthawk.  There is no DHCP on that link, so a manual IP address needs to be put in.  The LAN network address of the FiOS router is different from the LAN address of the Nighthawk (I know that's double nat). 

Everything was working perfectly before the update.  The only change was the update.  When a device is plugged directly into the FiOS router, there is internet connectivity.

Now, I am going to run through the following steps until something fixes it:

1. Download and install manually v1.0.2.90 firmware and upload it to the Nighthawk

2. Download and install manually v1.0.2.8x firmware and upload it to the Nighthawk

3. Re-upload v1.0.2.90 firmware and factory reset the Nighthawk

4. Remove the Nighthawk router from the network, setting the FiOS router as the connection medium, and eBay the Nighthawk

Even as a network technician for many years, I get tired of companies having poor change management programs that causes customers to work this hard to restore their services when they're trying to just keep up with the limited security issues that plague the Internet as a whole. 

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: r7800 fw 1.0.2.90 update now won’t connect to the internet

@Roblow If you're wanting help, we'd recommend starting your own thread so we can help you specifically and not get your details confused with the OP's. If you're just posting to be informative to the fact that you're having issues, thanks for doing so. 

Message 2 of 6
Roblow
Aspirant

After installing v1.0.2.90, the error you see on the Internet is pictured below.

Roblow_0-1651935949089.png

From my previous post:

1. Completed, no change to the issue

2. Completed on versions .86 & .84, no change to the issue

Message 3 of 6
Roblow
Aspirant

@plemansyep, just adding to the same issue as the OP.  Trying to identify the resolution for others so they don't have to go through the same process (especially those who aren't technicians by trade).

Message 4 of 6
Roblow
Aspirant

3. Powered off the device for 2 minutes and turned it back on.  No change in results, so went back to v1.0.2.90 (manual install).  Went to factory reset, but then realized the connection showed "good" on the Internet.  The only change made before the upgrade back to v1.0.2.90 was updating the NTP server to a known good server (I noticed the time was off by 6 months anyway for some reason).  The possibility is that NTP updated the time and then the FiOS router allowed the connectivity (or the Nighthawk did--still not sure which).

I needed to research the "[DoS Attack: IP Spoofing] from source:" issue because I started getting a flood of those error messages in my logs from two client devices, however many posts state to not worry about them (possible false positives).  Those two devices may be IoT devices, which is harder to troubleshoot since connectivity back to them is not usual.

It's hard to say what fixed the issue, but if you run through the same steps I did, you may get it back to good without factory reset.

Rob Low

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model is the FIOS router? 

If your ISP MODEM/ONT has a built in router, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Try option #2 first....

I've not see any WAN side problems on my R7800 with v.90 FW loaded.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7