Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to set up older router as a repeater.

Caliman1973
Follower

Trying to set up older router as a repeater.

Hello everyone. I have been scouring the internet to find out how to set up my older R7500 as an extender to my newer R7900. I have seen a bunch of Youtube videos and looked at Netgear's instructions for setting up Bridge mode, but I have not been successful. Most of the Youtube videos seem to be a bit unclear as to specific steps. They say, "you have to get off the internet" and things like that. I thought I had it with Netgear's instructions but it did not take. My experience level is probably somewhere between beginner and mid level. I have been able to set up my router and extenders in the past with no major problems. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Trying to set up older router as a repeater.

@Caliman1973 wrote:

Hello everyone. I have been scouring the internet to find out how to set up my older R7500 as an extender to my newer R7900. I have seen a bunch of Youtube videos and looked at Netgear's instructions for setting up Bridge mode, but I have not been successful.

This may be the problem. The term "bridge mode" can mean many things, depending on the context and the brand involved. You don't even say what you want to achieve. Do you want to use the R7500 as a wireless bridge (repeater) or as a wired wifi access point?

Not all routers are designed to operate as the source or client in "wireless bridge" (repeater) mode.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model numbers and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Use the Router in Bridge Mode

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7