Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to flash R7000 router using tftp

santoshamb
Aspirant

Unable to flash R7000 router using tftp

I am trying to flash my R7000 router using the tftp client on mac but after several hours of trying I have no success. I've been experiencing a lot of weird connectivity issues so I'm trying to downgrade the firmware to 1.0.9.42. My firmware is currently 1.0.11.122.

There are several nice writeups on how to flash the router using the tftp client which I've tried to follow, but nothing seems to work. Here is a good example: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/How-to-unbrick-the-Nighthawk-R7000-using-OS-...

Many of the instructions say to try to transfer the file when the power LED start blinking. I've noticed that at no point does my LED blink. This includes a regular boot with on/off switch, as well as factory reset.

I have a seperate window pinging the router so I can see when the router is responsive. Early in the boot sequence the router returns pings with TTL=100. As soon as I see this I immediately execute the following:

tftp 192.168.1.1
binary
put R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44.chk

Unfortunately the result is always the same, I get a "Transfer timed out." message. I have tried these commands at several other points in the boot sequence, as well as when the router is fully booted, and the flash never seems to work.

I don't know if this is related, but I'm unable to flash using the normal method on the admin page (Advanced -> Administration -> Router Update). Whenever I use this method, the process seems to work, but when I reboot my firmware is always the same.

Is there something I'm missing with the tftp approach, or is there some other way to flash the router?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Unable to flash R7000 router using tftp

What tells you that you need to use TFTP to update the firmware?

What does the power LED look like when you turn the thing on?

You should be able to use the standard procedure to downgrade firmware:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@santoshamb wrote:

I don't know if this is related, but I'm unable to flash using the normal method on the admin page (Advanced -> Administration -> Router Update). Whenever I use this method, the process seems to work, but when I reboot my firmware is always the same.

It  might be related.

Have you tried different firmware?

You could also see if a recovery reset helps:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Maybe you tried that. Your description isn't clear to me.

Message 2 of 5
santoshamb
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

I'm trying to use the TFTP approach because flashing using the admin webpage (the method you linked to) does not work. It appears to work, but when the router comes back up the firmware never changes.

I've also tried a firmware upgrade, to R7000-V1.0.11.123_10.2.100.chk using the admin web page. Same result.

I'll try to describe the colors of the power LED as best I can, after turning off power for 10 seconds and then turning back on:

0 seconds - the color is a soft or washed out amber
10 seconds - similar color, but brighter.
18 seconds - the full amber color
2 minutes 8 seconds - white

The led does not ever blink.

I've done both regular reset, and the 30-30-30 reset multiple times, as you described.

Is there anything else I can try? I'm trying to change firmware becuase of an issue with wifi dropping whenever certain devices attach or when I play an amazon prime video. I have a seperate issue for this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Drops-wifi-for-all-devices-only-when-c...

Thank you!

Message 3 of 5

@santoshamb wrote:

I'll try to describe the colors of the power LED as best I can, after turning off power for 10 seconds and then turning back on:

0 seconds - the color is a soft or washed out amber
10 seconds - similar color, but brighter.
18 seconds - the full amber color
2 minutes 8 seconds - white

The led does not ever blink.

That is the standard start-up routine. It tells us that there is nothing wrong with the router's firmware. At least, nothing that shows up in the self check routine that would scream "corrupt firmware".

@santoshamb wrote:

I've also tried a firmware upgrade, to R7000-V1.0.11.123_10.2.100.chk using the admin web page.

I don't know what that means. By mentioning the .ckh file it sounds like a manual update, but the admin web pages (there's more than one) also offer an automated process.

As a simple test, can you access this?

http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm

Have you tried any other firmware versions as suggested earlier?

Message 4 of 5
santoshamb
Aspirant

Hello,

Here is more specifics on how I tried to update the firmware.

I opened the admin page at 192.168.1.1 using a web browser. The firmware currently loaded on the device (as reported in the upper right corner) is V1.0.11.122_10.2.100

I then went to Advanced -> Administration -> Router update

From here I pressed "check" on Check for new version from the Internet. This told me "No new firmware version available". However, I believe there is a newer version (V1.0.11.123_10.2.100), since I can download it manually.

On the same page, I then tried a manual update. I downloaded two different firmware versions and did Browse -> open file -> Upload. The two versions I tried are

V1.0.11.123_10.2.100 (upgrade)

V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 (downgrade)

In both cases, everything appears to work, but when I boot back up, version 1.0.11.122 is still displayed in the upper right corner.

I can reach http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm just fine. This appears to be a really helpful page, thank you.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7