Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unstable after firmware update

ArneH
Tutor

Unstable after firmware update

I have an R8000 with firmware V1.0.4.68, this is slightly better than 1.0.4.66 and it is here where problem begin

After update to 1.0.4.66 5GHz-2 did not work according to the red sign. (But it seemed to work despite the red signal)

But the basic problem is that the quality has drop significant when streaming. The picture on the TV is (not always) is bad, the picture freezes and start buffering. That never occurred earlier.

So, I have three choices as I see it:

1. Wait to an upgrade off the firmware, and hope that the upgraded firmware works better.
  2. Downgrade to R8000-V1.0.4.62 with all extra work after factory reset
  3. Buy a new router.

Any recommendations?

And a proposal: Let the user decide what WiFi band that should be included in Smart connect. I would be happy to merge 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 be merged and have the 2.4GHz as a stand-alone radio.

But anyway, to have R8000 with firmware V1.0.4.68, gets be frustrated.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

You're correct in your options. Its very unfortunate. 

If you do downgrade, after its setup, make a backup of the configuration. That way if you do upgrade next time and have issues, you can downgrade back and just restore it. makes it a bit simpler. 

One thing I will advise, avoid the .50 firmware. Devices that install that seem to get stuck on it. 

Message 2 of 9
ArneH
Tutor

Hej

Now have downgrade to V18! Then it is stable and don’t buffer videos, telephone’s etc.

Wife also happy 😊.

But I guess its ton of update that it an improvement especially in the security area.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

the .28 is a pretty solid version and has a few bug/product fixes. The newer versions got the netgear armor upgrade and that's when it seemed to cause issues

Message 4 of 9
labatt
Mentor

@ArneH wrote:

Hej

Wife also happy 😊.

Happy wife, Happy life. 

Message 5 of 9
ArneH
Tutor

I always update the router so I thought that had at least V58. But when reinstalled V58 the problem still was there. And I used the 5G for a bridge application.  But V28 merge all three band to one single (smart connect). Little confused because as I remember it I had V58.

Waiting for the next version, and testing then.

Message 6 of 9
ArneH
Tutor

I always update the router so I thought that had at least V58. But when reinstalled V58 the problem still was there. And I used the 5G for a bridge application.  But V28 merge all three band to one single (smart connect). Little confused because as I remember it I had V58.

Waiting for the next version, and testing then.

And never has used the armor  feature

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Even if you don't use armor, its still built into the firmware on versions newer than the .28 version. 

A small portion of routers have issues with the armor and those people I usually refer to the .28.

Best bet if you do update? 

factory reset

then install the firmware over a hardwired connection

then factory reset 1 more time and do a clean install (not from backups)

that seems to work for some with the newer version issue. 

Message 8 of 9
ArneH
Tutor

Thank's, I do that when next update comming 🙂

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements