Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using an ISP Static Range for specific devices on my network

Quickfixinc
Aspirant

Using an ISP Static Range for specific devices on my network

Scenario: I am trying to have 3 separate devices on my network assigned a static IP address. My ISP has given me my staic range but I am simply not understanding how I can point each usable static IP to the specific hardware on my LAN. I have gone to the LAN setup but I cannot reserve an IP that is out of the DHCP range. Is it possible to even have those 3 devices be assigned a static IP address that my ISP has provided? 

I have done this exact sceanrio on my AT&T router configuration at a different location and I had the capability to use a Public fixed IP range OR the internal IP reservation. 

I am using a technicolor mediacom modem and my nighthawk is connected to that. 

I am hopeful that I'm just being green to this and overlooking something obvious. 

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using an ISP Static Range for specific devices on my network

First off lets make sure you understand what "static" IP address means. Its a IP address that gets SET ON a device. Like at the router or set ON devices on the LAN side. "Reserved" IP addresses are set ON a router on the LAN side for connected devices. Any device that when connected to the router, gets a "reserved" IP address, set by the user on the router and never changes when a device connects to the router. 

So if your ISP gave you a "Static" IP address, this means that this IP address is assigned to you and the router can only use it and this is used on the WAN side. So under Advanced tab/WAN or Internet setup, you'll see a section that deals with WAN connections from the ISP. Usually Auto DHCP is most common, however if ISP supports the "Static" IP address, then there is a specific option to input this on the routers web page.

For "static" IP address assigned ON devices these addresses are input ON the devices themselves and the addresses needs to not conflict with the routers DHCP IP address pool. So you'll need to adjust the routers IP address pool on the LAN side from 192.168.1.2 to .192.168.1.254 to 1.100 thru .200. Then you'll have room on either side of this pool size for static IP addressed devices. 192.168.1.2 thru .1.99 or .201 thru .254.

Any "Reserved" IP addressed assignments will be with in this DHCP IP address pool size(1.100 thru .200). Not out side.

IP address "reservations" are on ON the routers web page under Advanced Tab/Setup/LAN setup. 

Message 2 of 9
Quickfixinc
Aspirant

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  So in my static range from the ISP I was given a gateway address of xx.xxx.92.201, the usable IP range of xx.xxx.92.202 to 206 and the subnet of 255.255.255.248. 

Are you saying that I would need to change the range to match what the ISP has given me? Or does that mean on the router can have a single IP address and everything that is connected to it will be in the typical DHCP range which will always show the same public IP address?

Here is how I setup my router for static for reference witht the XX.XXX. being a constant. I'm not sure if it's a privacy concern so I put X as a placeholder:

IP Address xx.xxx.92.202
Subnet  255.255.255.248
Gateway IP xx.xxx.92.201

Message 3 of 9
Quickfixinc
Aspirant

Hey there, just circling back to see if you had any more tips on this or if I need to look for a different method for a solution
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

No, nothing needed to change on the WAN side. You only get 1 IP address from the ISP. 

You can change the LAN side. Under Advanced tab/Setup/LAN setup. 

Message 5 of 9
Quickfixinc
Aspirant

I have a block of IPs that I purchased so I’m confused. I have the exact range and I’ve done this on a couple att modem/router and it was cake. The static public addresses were configurable on the ip allocation area so I just assumed that I would have a similar option with a nighthawk router
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

For most NG R series routers, you can only use 1 WAN IP address at a time, so you can pick 1 of the IP addresses from the block of addresses you have and input that on the router. The router only allows for 1 WAN IP address though. 

Message 7 of 9
Quickfixinc
Aspirant

Okay, you’ve been helpful. That’s what I needed to know.

,Thanks
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You might find a business class router that can handle more than one WAN IP address. Most home stuff only supports 1 address since most homes only need 1. Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7