Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using an unmanaged switch with Nighthawk X10

sromo006
Tutor

Using an unmanaged switch with Nighthawk X10

I have my Nighthawk hooked up as my router. I tried plugging in an unmanaged switch to one of the ethernet ports to extend the number of ports for my home ethernet. The Nighthawk doesnt seem to regonize it. I plug my computer directly into the Nighthawk port I am using and it works, I plug my computer into the switch and it lights up as working. Plug my router into the switch and no lights. Is there some setting on the Nighthawk admin settings that I have to enable to get the switch to work? Everywhere I read it seemed just plug and play.

Model: GS105v5|ProSafe 5 ports gigabit switch, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
sromo006
Tutor

Re: Using an unmanaged switch with Nighthawk X10

It ended up being a loose wire in one of the wall connection pins. Very frustrating as I guess it was making contact with PC but not router. repaired wall connection and worked.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What LAN cables are you using? CAT6 is recommended.

Swap LAN cables. 

Try swapping LAN ports on the router and Switch. 

Possible your Switch is bad, try another switch. 

Message 2 of 17
sromo006
Tutor

Is there specific ports on the Nighthawk router that have to be used for a switch? My switch doesnt have a dedicated wan port so I have switched it around and still same thing. 

Message 3 of 17
sromo006
Tutor

I am using a Cat 5e which should work. I have a tester for my cables and I have also tried different cables. They work when computer is directly connected to router. I just dont see the Router regonizing the switch for some reason. Not sure if Im missing a setting on the router

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Any of the LAN ports on the router can be used for switches. Switches don't have WAN ports. Only LAN ports meant for used on the LAN port side of a router. 

Is the model of your swtich a GS105? 

You happen to have a different router by chance? If you do you could fire this up, just a a test with this switch and PC and see if it works...

Message 5 of 17
sromo006
Tutor

Model: GS105v5|ProSafe 5 ports gigabit switch, R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router

Put this in the og post but I do not have another router. I connect the computer to the router directly though same lan port and no issue. I connect the computer through lan to switch and traffic light lights up. When I connect the router to the switch, no lights same ports used for computer that show its working. I didnt change any settings just plug in and thought I was good to go since unmanaged. But Nighthawk just doesnt seem to regonize the switch. I have a feeling its a setting but I havent been able to find any messaging on it. Are there any settings that can conflict with using a swtich? Like Port Aggregation? I have it enabled LACP but the status is inactive as I am not currently using it.

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable LACP on the router or try using one of the other LAN ports that is not included in the LAG configuration. LAN#4 I believe should work, even if LACP is enabled. 

Message 7 of 17
sromo006
Tutor

Thank you I tried disabling it and even switching the port from 1 to 3 on the router. Stil cant get it to regonize that it is a switch. computer direct to router still works and computer to switch shows connection. So cables, ports, and devices seem to be functional. Just seems to be a setting that might need to be enabled.

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

No other settings. 

I'd try a different switch to see if the problem follows...

Message 9 of 17
sromo006
Tutor

Can Nighthawk only handle managed switches?

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be able to handle any kind of switch...Have seen where "Green Ethernet" featured switch can cause problems. Mostly seen with Orbi systems. Not sure if the R9000 would be effected...

Message 11 of 17
sromo006
Tutor

What is the green ethernet issue?

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Some NG products are not designed with the low power ethernet effiency features of some ethernet switches. Seems to cause bad connections problems between routers and other connected devices. 

Not sure if the R9000 would be effected or not. The one time I had a R9000 connected, years ago, it worked fine with my switches. HP Pro Curve 1400 series. 

I'd try a different brand or different GS series maybe and see. NG GS 108 or D-Link DGS 105/108 series. I see D-LInk has a new DGS 1##GL series which I'm curious about. 

Anyways, something different, Try managed if you want too. IF the router still doesn't connect, i'd suspect the router is fautly...

Message 13 of 17
sromo006
Tutor

I connected 2 computers to the switch and could see them fine in the network to eachother. So I think the switch is fine. I got a managed switch to try out since Netgear has guidance on how to set up a managed switch. I checked all the ports on the router too and can connect to internet from each port so not sure why it doesnt like the switch. Ill update if anything works. Just frustrated this high end router doesnt recognize a switch.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you see with the different switch? Brand and Model? 

Message 15 of 17
sromo006
Tutor

It ended up being a loose wire in one of the wall connection pins. Very frustrating as I guess it was making contact with PC but not router. repaired wall connection and worked.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that was all. Sheesh. 

Enjoy. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation