Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN requiring frequent reboots

Yargile
Aspirant

VPN requiring frequent reboots

Nighthawk R8000P
FW: V1.4.4.94_1.3.56

All of the sudden I have all users having trouble with OpenVPN to the Netgear. The router is requiring reboots almost daily for clients to be able to connect. Once the reboot is performed, the VPN works as expected...for a while.

• The computers dont need to be rebooted. They are on Windows 10 and fully patched.
  • The internet connection (Xfinity with static IP) doesnt need to be rebooted.
  • The switches dont need to be rebooted.
  • The Netgear was on an older FW version (I forget which one). So I updated it to the latest.
  • The computers were on an older version of OpenVPN client (I forget which one, but one that had been in use for a year or more with no problems). So I updated to the latest. 2.5.8. This was downloaded via the link that the Netgear instructions provided.
  • Internet connectivity is not being lost during outages. Internal users are able to browse the web no problem.

The problem persists. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: VPN requiring frequent reboots

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Try enabling IPv6 (AUTO) on the router.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

Message 2 of 4
Yargile
Aspirant

Thanks for your response:

• Technicolor DPC3941B modem
  • I will turn on IPv6 auto this evening
  • Just replaced the network cable per your suggestion
  • Device has been fully power cycled (unplugged for minutes), this was done prior to this support post
  • Factory reset has not been performed, wanted to rule out everything else first

Can you tell my why you think the wireless configurations may have any impact on remote clients VPNing into this device? I would like to understand for future. If you are asking about the remote client connectivity on their local networks, it is a mixed bag of wireless (with a variety of settings) and wired. If you are asking about the wireless on the main network with the Netgear in question, 2.4GHz is on Auto and 5GHz is on 44. There are other networks nearby, a handful, and are not on conflicting channels. Our internal wireless works well.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Checking for any possible interference issue on wireless. If your wireless is working ok, then thats fine. 

Lets see if enabling IPv6 helps...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7