Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What 3rd party firmware are we using these days for the R7800?

OhBeWan
Guide

What 3rd party firmware are we using these days for the R7800?

I have posted before about issues with Netgear firmware updates.  My other posts list those issue in detail. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Requests-for-firmware-changes-on-R7800-Route...

Obviously, I am no longer on firmware 68. I have the latest and greatest.  Yes, I have done a factory reset.  Had hoped that a future updated firmware would fix things.  Yes, I added the items to the suggestion page.  Yes, I replaced the cable modem.  Yes, I changed the cord.  Some have suggested going to a 3rd party firmware, but I have resisted.  I am ready, now.  If it bricks, I don't care.  Yes, this router is no longer my primary.  Yes, I am still ticked that Netgear didn't support this router during it's lifetime. Yes, it is their firmware updates that made it bad, in my humble opinion.   

Are we going with OpenWRT, Voxel or DD-WRT?  Or something else?

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you want opinions on 3rd party firmware, you'd find it on those sites. Not on the official forums. 

Message 2 of 14
OhBeWan
Guide

Thanks for replying so quickly.  In prior posts, I was trying to work through the official forum for resolution.  Some had posted that the answer was a 3rd party firmware.  I resisted and gave an answer similar to yours.  Thought I would join the crowd rather than fight it.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

I'm not saying don't go with 3rd party firmware. Some have used it (i've tried it) and liked it. I'm just saying you'd have to actually ask on their sites whats currently working the best. 

Message 4 of 14
OhBeWan
Guide

Got it.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 14
Kitsap
Master

The R7800 has a pretty active group on Small Net Builders.

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/ 

Message 6 of 14

@OhBeWan wrote:

Had hoped that a future updated firmware would fix things. 

Forgive me if I don't dive through past conversations, but what things still need fixing?

My R7800 soldiers on with little, if any, sign of issues.

Perhaps I am not doing the sort of things that bug you.

Message 7 of 14
OhBeWan
Guide

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Requests-for-firmware-changes-on-R7800-Route... 

There are 5 issues listed: 3 have to do with the way attached devices are dealt with. 1 deals with the router's inability to find the internet after reboot.  1 deals with randomly dropping wireless clients. 

I am a home user that has 30 devices or more connected.  About half are wireless.  I have to do port forwarding and static IP's within the network so identifying what is on the network is important to me.  If you have fewer devices and not very many are wireless, then maybe you would not have noticed these issues.

Message 8 of 14
OhBeWan
Guide

Will check it out.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 14

@OhBeWan wrote:

There are 5 issues listed: 3 have to do with the way attached devices are dealt with. 1 deals with the router's inability to find the internet after reboot.  1 deals with randomly dropping wireless clients. 

You don't say here what you mean by "the way attached devices are dealt with" but this is a constant refrain with many Netgear routers. They are hopeless at keeping track of what's connected. But it seems to depend on how you are checking that. Apps on mobiles are far worse than the browser graphical user interface (GUI) or, my preferred option, the desktop genie and its "map".

As to reconnecting, no problems here – again you don't describe the issue– but I did find that it depends on the modem in front of the router. Some modems are so slow to connect that the router threw in the towel and timed out. That one went away when I changed the DSL modem/router (D6400 in bridge mode) for a DM200.

Wireless is also not an issue here.

Message 10 of 14
OhBeWan
Guide

I provided a link to the detailed explanation at your request, but OK, here is the detail:

"1) Change the user interface.  Now you logon to the router.  At the home screen, you click on "Attached Devices".  It then shows 2 devices per screen.  I would like a list view or more space on the screen devoted to devices.  And show the Mac ID. Yes, you can get a list view by (from the Home Page) clicking the "Advanced Tab", then "Security", then "Access control."  Problem with the original view is that it does not show the Mac ID.  You must click the device.  This makes it hard to solve problems when you only have the Mac ID of the offending device.

2) Identifying devices on your network is key.  At the home screen, you click on "Attached Devices".  Click on a device, change the name, change the Device Type and click Apply when done.  Later, I go back in and many, but not all of the time, that device is now "unknown" for name and type.  Only way I have found to, for sure, make it remember the device is to click the "Advanced" tab, then "Security", then "Access Control".  Then turn on Access Control but allow new devices to connect.  Once I have done this, I can name the device and name the device type in this screen.  My request here is to make it easier to save and stay saved from the "Attached Devices" screen.

3) I find the device type to be very useful.  I wish this were expanded.  At a minimum, I would like you to add Roku, Amazon Echo and Thermostat as types. I understand that  you couldn't possibly anticipate all devices that everyone could have but how difficult would it be to expand that list by 20 more types?  Can I sort network devices by type so I can see info on that specific type?"

I use the a PC to look up devices so I am going through my browser.  Yes, I can drill down and look up items and go through a procedure to save names of devices and yes, I don't absolutely have to have device type expanded, but come on, Cheaper routers have some of these features.  Who wouldn't want the ability to easily name a device?  Who wouldn't want the MAc ID on the main screen? Who wouldn't want to see more than two devices at a time?

Not trying to be sarcastic.  Just saying that a power user like yourself not having any issues, is not a good litmus test. 

Message 11 of 14
OhBeWan
Guide

Here is the detail on the other 2 issues:

"4)  Upon reboot of the router (which is a rare thing), the router cannot find the internet, unless I physically unplug and replug my WAN/ISP cable. This is most of the time.  Some times it works without unplugging and replugging.  I have changed the cable.  I have rebooted the cable modem.  These do not fix the problem.  Something in the startup sequence does not find the WAN port.  Please fix.

5) After the warranty period, a firmware upgrade began the process of disconnecting wifi devices randomly.  The user forums had a number of posts on this with suggested fixes including 3rd party firmware.  What I did to fix this is that I turned off many of the advanced features of this router.  I did this until the platform was stable.  Has this been fixed in a firmware upgrade or at least identified?"

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

I have not see any issues with my R7800 not being able to find the internet connection from my modems. Mines on stock latest v.90 FW as well. 

Message 13 of 14
OhBeWan
Guide

I tried all of the above, years ago.  Multiple times.  Obviously, I was not on 90. But each time I tried it, I was on the most recent firmware.  I have previously had ISP replace modem with a new-in-box modem.  

I have given up on solving the issue.  Just trying to find out what other users who have the same problems that I do, use for 4rd party firmware.  I appreciate your replies but I do not want to go down that hole again.  Thanks again.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7