Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What do I need to extend R8500 for a 4,000 sf 2 story home?

Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

What do I need to extend R8500 for a 4,000 sf 2 story home?

I have a R8500 and a 4,000sf 2 story home.  What is the best Netgear device to buy in order to extend the wifi throughout the house while maintaining the 5G speeds.  I would also like to maintain ubiquity, same passcodes as well.  I would like to be able to use the guest feature, parental controls and QOS throughout the house.  I know I have options of powerline, extenders or even another router in AP mode.  I would like some advice before I buy.  Thank you in advance.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: What do I need to extend R8500 for a 4,000 sf 2 story home?

I'm not aware of any consumer market router that has VLAN switching support.  You can install DD-WRT (3rd party firmware), but it has a steep learning curve.  Also, DD-WRT cannot leverage the router's hardware-accelerated features, so it may not be suitable if you have a Gigabit speed Internet connection.

You could use two X7000s, or go with something lesser if you want to save money, or just provide a 2.4 GHz only guest network.  You should confirm that you can extend the guest network, exclusively, with one extender.  Maybe buy one extender and if it works, then buy the second.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If guest isolation is a requirement stop now, Guest isolation will only work when using one router. The minute you add a AP it is lost. You need a Vlan. Not sure how extenders treat Guest.

If that's acceptable I would use another r8500 in AP mode, this requires a data cable between them.

Message 2 of 8
TheEther
Guru

You have an R8500 and a Ubiquiti?  You should already have good coverage unless the walls are really dense or placement of the two devices is suboptimal.  Where are the units located and what kind of dead zones do you have?

If you have a Ubiquiti, then does that mean that your house is wired with Ethernet?  If so, the best thing to do is to connect additional APs into that backbone.

Guest networking is going to be a challenge.  To get it to work throughout the house requires guest traffic to be segregated.  It's usually not sufficient to put it on a separate SSID.  VLANs are usually used to provide that segregation.  Your Ubiquiti probably supports VLAN tagging but the R8500 does not.  

Netgear just released the Orbi, which does support guest networking on the base station and satellites.  It will not be possible, however, for the R8500 and Ubiquiti to supplement the Orbi's guest network.  But some people are finding the Orbi to have pretty good coverage, so it may be possible to replace everything with just the Orbi.

Another option is to go all Ubiquiti.  Get an Edgerouter (ER) or a Unifi Security Gateway (USG) and deploy additional Ubiquiti APs.  The ER and USG support VLANs, so you can set up a properly segregated guest network throughout the house.  There is some work required to set it up, but you should be able to get the required help from Ubiquiti's forums.

Message 3 of 8
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

I only have a R8500.   My statement of 'I would also like to maintain ubiquity' is referring to the word Ubiquity which is the state of being everywhere all the time.   I am not familair with the hardware device named Ubiquiti.

Message 4 of 8
TheEther
Guru

LOL.  Sorry for the misinterpretation.  Ubiquiti is a company that makes networking gear, so I assumed you meant that.

Extending a guest network is still tricky.  Searay is right in that a VLAN is needed with a wired AP.

You could try using two range extenders, one to extend the main SSID and another to extend the guest SSID.  I'm not a big fan of range extenders due to significant performance penalties, but you don't really have any other choice unless you upgrade the router.

Message 5 of 8
Alex_CCIM
Apprentice

I appreciate your response. When you suggest that I upgrade the router, what do you suggest?

Also, I am not opposed to performance penalties on the Guest Newtork. Are you suggesting two X7000s?
Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

I'm not aware of any consumer market router that has VLAN switching support.  You can install DD-WRT (3rd party firmware), but it has a steep learning curve.  Also, DD-WRT cannot leverage the router's hardware-accelerated features, so it may not be suitable if you have a Gigabit speed Internet connection.

You could use two X7000s, or go with something lesser if you want to save money, or just provide a 2.4 GHz only guest network.  You should confirm that you can extend the guest network, exclusively, with one extender.  Maybe buy one extender and if it works, then buy the second.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'd recommend the Orbi. If you still want to use the R8500 for the router tasks you could turn off Wi-Fi, put the Orbi router in AP mode and connect that via ethernet to the R8500. You could configure the Orbi to use the SSID and passphrase that the R8500 did.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series