Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which ISP and modem should I get to pair with my router

JaredBesa
Follower

Which ISP and modem should I get to pair with my router

I recently got a Nighthawk AC2400 and was wondering what the best option for budget and performance I should get. I am the only one who will be using the internet. Gaming PC going on one Ethernet line, than a server going on the other. My Xbox, fire tv, and sometimes my phone will be using wifi. Any further questions feel free to ask, just wondering.
Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Which ISP and modem should I get to pair with my router

@JaredBesa wrote:
I recently got a Nighthawk AC2400 and was wondering what the best option for budget and performance I should get. I am the only one who will be using the internet.

The choice of modem depends on your Internet service. This isn't the place to ask about the best ISP. We all live all over the planet, perhaps even further afield. My recommendation in the UK is probably no use to someone in Australia.

Check out the local ISPs. Talk to friends and neighbours.

When you have done that, ask your chosen ISP which modems are compatible with whatever it uses to deliver the Internet. DSL and cable use different technologies, and modems. Optical services uses something called on ONT, an Optical Network Terminal . Many of those don't need a  modem. You just plug in your router.

Whatever you choose, because you already have a router, avoid buying a combined modem/router. That can cause problems in setting up.

By the way AC2400 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number. In your case, it may well be an AC2400. This is one of those rare devices  where Netgear screwed up and used that as the model number. But the R7350 and XR450 are also AC2400 when it comes to wifi.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7