Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi problems

kalsson
Aspirant

WiFi problems

Hello,

I have a colleague who needs some help with his router. He has a new Netgear Nighthawk R8000 that he has owned for a few months and has had problems with WiFi from day one.

At certain times of the day, his streaming services do not work on his WiFI such as: Netflix, Youtube, etc. It usually applies between four o'clock in the afternoon and until seven or eight o'clock in the evening. He lives in an apartment building with several neighbors and I suspect it has something to do with the canals but I have also lived in an apartment building and I have never had any problems which is similar to his.

So, what has he done to solve this:

1. He started by upgrading the router to the latest firmware.
  2. He has tried to factory reset the router and install the latest software updates again.
  3. He has checked that the router is set to find channels automatically.
  4. He has also tried to connect his devices with network cable directly from his fiber socket from the wall to see if it is his ISP provider that does not keep what they promise. Everything worked great when he tried this.

I can not answer if he has tried to connect with network cable from the router directly to the devices but I know that, problems occur when he is connected via WiFI. Even if he stand in front of his router. Like I said, this only happens at certain times of the day.

What action do you recommend in this case?

Thanks in advance!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: WiFi problems

@kalsson wrote:
  1. He has checked that the router is set to find channels automatically.

How about checking for local wifi channels that other people are on and then pick their own channel that other people are not using.

Message 2 of 5
kalsson
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@kalsson wrote:
  1. He has checked that the router is set to find channels automatically.

How about checking for local wifi channels that other people are on and then pick their own channel that other people are not using.

He has not tried that. Can you recommend a way how he can do this?

Message 3 of 5

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in the model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Specify Basic WiFi Settings.

Using a mobile device to look for other wifi sources will also reveal how much wireless noise surrounds them.

It should be possible to find out which channels people are on, but simply experimenting with different channels would be a start.

Of course, a wired connection will beat wifi. And one way to do that is with Powerline Ethernet. Especially for things like TVs that don't move around. But I have no idea how that would work in an apartment.

Message 4 of 5
kalsson
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in the model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Specify Basic WiFi Settings.

Using a mobile device to look for other wifi sources will also reveal how much wireless noise surrounds them.

It should be possible to find out which channels people are on, but simply experimenting with different channels would be a start.

Of course, a wired connection will beat wifi. And one way to do that is with Powerline Ethernet. Especially for things like TVs that don't move around. But I have no idea how that would work in an apartment.

Okey, thanks for the help! I'm letting him know about this.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7