Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired Speeds R7000

Stroopwafel
Aspirant

Wired Speeds R7000

We have the R7000 for a while now and I noticed that after upgrading to 750Mbit connection, the router doesn't go higher than 350 capped.

Directly into the modem does 750/750 without any problems.

QoS is off, tried a complete factory reset but still nothing.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

Re: Wired Speeds R7000

@Case850, I would love to test everything, only problem is that our ISP is blocking out the option to bridge the Draytek, they just simply don't allow it, it's greyed out. Probably it's because our television is also running through the same modem.

So I think that means i'm stuck at AP mode, until they either give us more options or another modem.

An older Firmware didn't do the trick for me, but that was two days ago when the whole infastructure was giving headaches, so I could give that a try again soon.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 21

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Have you ENABLED QoS, updated the SPEED TEST, and then DISABLED QoS and rebooted? That old setting for the Speed might be holding you back?

Message 2 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

It doesn't 😞

After enabling it, the speedtest of the router measured 450Mbit which is a bit higher than before.

After disabling it, it reboots automatically and we're back at 350Mbit again.

Not sure what to do here, and why this is happening.

Message 3 of 21
duckware
Prodigy

I don't know why that is happening (but I suspect a Netgear bug).  I you want to find out for sure, here is a test procedure: duckware.com/wifi#testwan2lan

Message 4 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

Seems like on hell of a read for something that's not on my end. I can just claim a warrenty issue.

I just don't want to yet cause it's a very nice router.

Message 5 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

I think it's a modem-router?, the Draytek Vigor 2132F.
I'm running the R7000 on Firmware version 1.0.9.26, and before I had TomatoUSB Firmware on it, up-to-date.

Message 6 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

That is indeed the model, problem is that the ISP is blocking Bridge mode for some reason. Already had contact with them about that issue.

After work I will try and set the R7000 to AP mode and report back.

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate this.

Message 7 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

AP mode doesn't change a thing 😞

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using DMZ on the Draytek modem/router combo for the R7000 while in Router mode and see if this helps. Do a factory reset on the R7000 and don't touch or configure, QoS, Traffic Meter or Access Control after setting it up. Just configure WIFI settings and see if this helps. 

@Stroopwafelwrote:

We have the R7000 for a while now and I noticed that after upgrading to 750Mbit connection, the router doesn't go higher than 350 capped.

Message 9 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

Interesting to see, I Could check that out soon. However, it bothers me that Netgear hasn’t replied to any of it regarding the issue.

Reading that reverting back has some security patches remover just seems unnecessary.
Message 10 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

So I tried the old firmware version 1-0-7-6, and this gets me to 400mbit. a 50mbit increase.

I think I just claim the warranty and go for a different router.

Shame really, but this takes up too much time.

Thank you all for responding.

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using DMZ on the Draytek modem/router combo for the R7000 while in Router mode and see if this helps. Do a factory reset on the R7000 and don't touch or configure, QoS, Traffic Meter or Access Control after setting it up. Just configure WIFI settings and see if this helps.

@Stroopwafelwrote:

So I tried the old firmware version 1-0-7-6, and this gets me to 400mbit. a 50mbit increase.

I think I just claim the warranty and go for a different router.

Shame really, but this takes up too much time.

Thank you all for responding.

Message 12 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

I tried that, old or new firmware same problem.

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Will have to contact NG support. Might ask them to see if there is any beta FW builds available that you can test. 

There was one person on here who got speeds after doing a factory reset and not touching or configuring QoS, Traffic Meter and Acess Controls. Seemed to work for him.

@Stroopwafelwrote:

Message 14 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

A little update,

I unplugged everything, for an hour. After that I connect the router to the modem, turned modem on, when it was ready, the router.

When the router was ready, I plugged in my pc and had 500mbit.

That was without touching anything, so I decided to set the router to AP mode, and voila, 750Mbit.

So the router is fine, but the other PC still only has 400mbit, even with other cables. So my guess is that the onboard NIC is faulty.

Gonna buy a seperate PCIe card for that pc to see if that terminates the problem.

R7000 is still rocking 😉

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the problem. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Stroopwafelwrote:

A little update,

I unplugged everything, for an hour. After that I connect the router to the modem, turned modem on, when it was ready, the router.

When the router was ready, I plugged in my pc and had 500mbit.

That was without touching anything, so I decided to set the router to AP mode, and voila, 750Mbit.

So the router is fine, but the other PC still only has 400mbit, even with other cables. So my guess is that the onboard NIC is faulty.

Gonna buy a seperate PCIe card for that pc to see if that terminates the problem.

R7000 is still rocking 😉

Message 16 of 21
duckware
Prodigy

"so I decided to set the router to AP mode, and voila, 750Mbit."

Does your modem allow for multiple users?  Turning off the router (turning on AP mode) means no NAT, no SPI, etc -- just a Gigabit switch with wireless built-in.

Sounds similar to results seen at duckware.com/testwan2lan

Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

He's got a modem/router combo unit that he mentioned. 

@duckwarewrote:

"so I decided to set the router to AP mode, and voila, 750Mbit."

Does your modem allow for multiple users?  Turning off the router (turning on AP mode) means no NAT, no SPI, etc -- just a Gigabit switch with wireless built-in.

Sounds similar to results seen at duckware.com/testwan2lan

Message 18 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

Yea router-modem without the option to Bridge it. ISP disabled it, best result in AP Mode. Router mode just notches it down 250mbit.

Message 19 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

One user mentioned that most recent version of FW for the R7000 has reduced WAN port speeds and revertting back to a prior version resolves this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Feedback-for-R7000-New-firmware-1-0-9-18/td-...

Something to review and see if this is something you should try as well for Router mode. 

@Stroopwafelwrote:

Yea router-modem without the option to Bridge it. ISP disabled it, best result in AP Mode. Router mode just notches it down 250mbit.

Message 20 of 21
Stroopwafel
Aspirant

@Case850, I would love to test everything, only problem is that our ISP is blocking out the option to bridge the Draytek, they just simply don't allow it, it's greyed out. Probably it's because our television is also running through the same modem.

So I think that means i'm stuck at AP mode, until they either give us more options or another modem.

An older Firmware didn't do the trick for me, but that was two days ago when the whole infastructure was giving headaches, so I could give that a try again soon.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7