Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless camera system causing WIFI disruption and dropping

rosede
Aspirant

Wireless camera system causing WIFI disruption and dropping

I put in a Wyze outdoor wireless camera system in September. Ever since, I've had issues with devices on my 5Ghz network hanging as well as the entire WIFI network drop whenever I would try to access one of the cameras.  During this same time period I was having issues with my modem and had to have my ISP replace a failed moca filter.  I expected this issue to clear up after the moca filter issue was resolved, but it did not.  These wireless camera's have their own base station and their own little wifi network.  Thinking that the frequency they were on might be conflicting with the frequency some of my other equipment was on, I started adjusting channels in the router.  This did not solve the issue, so I started asking questions on the wyze forums.  They were not receptive to think that there equipment might be cause of this issue and they suggested that it was my network causing this issue.  The Wyze WIFI is 2.4Ghz, so that is not an issue.

Is there something that I can look at in the router to help me identify where this issue my be?  The logs only show me what is being blocked  not really much else.  I forgot to mention that I have an R7000 AC1900 Nighthawk.  

If anyone can suggest where I can look to see what might be the cause, I'll be happy to hear.

Thanks

Daryl

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wireless camera system causing WIFI disruption and dropping

How many wifi devices do you have connected to the router at one time? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many

Is Smart Connect enabled? 

How is Advanced Wifi Settings configured under the Advanced tab/Wireless Settings? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 3

Re: Wireless camera system causing WIFI disruption and dropping

@rosede wrote:

I put in a Wyze outdoor wireless camera system in September. Ever since, I've had issues with devices on my 5Ghz network hanging as well as the entire WIFI network drop whenever I would try to access one of the cameras. 

Does this still happen if you disable the Wyze stuff temporarily?

What do you see when this happens?

Do the wifi LEDs on the R7000 offer any clues?

The logs only show me what is being blocked  not really much else. 

What do these logs say?

Have you set up the router to block devices?

These wireless camera's have their own base station and their own little wifi network. 

I have an Arlo system that operates in the same way. I haven't seen any problems. Nor do I recall seeing many reports of issues with Wyze devices, beyond the usual 2.4GHz/5GHz confusion.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Wyze cameras

The usual questions.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7