Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: X10 r9000 wont stay connected to xbox one s

maddly2000
Guide

X10 r9000 wont stay connected to xbox one s

I had an Asus rt87u that worked perfectly. I upgraded to the r9000. I have kids and a very connected home with typically 8 to 10 devices on the network. All work fine wired or wireless except my xbox one s..... note it worked for many months with the Asus. Whenever I turn off the xbox, the next time I turn it on it won't connect. When I run the network diagnostics on the xbox it says "unable to get an ip address please reboot your router or modem"....(it has a static ip).  When I reboot the x10 it connects until the next time I turn on the xbox. This happens 100% of the time whether I turn the xbox off for 5 minutes or 5 hours. For the price of this router very annoying as we have to reboot all the time. This is a hard wired connection.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
maddly2000
Guide

Well, I owe Netgear and the Community an apology. Turning of the Xbox Instant On feature solved it. Now I can start hounding Microsoft. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 20

All Replies
01R
Luminary
Luminary

did u reserve the ip for the xbox in the router ?

i been usin netgear routers along time an i always just reserve the ips in the router n leave the xbox on auto for all that it always connects but i also use cat6a network cables i dont trust wifi for anything

Message 2 of 20
maddly2000
Guide

Yes its reserved in the router and I have tried static and auto on the xbox with same results. Thx.
Message 3 of 20
maddly2000
Guide

Wow, this is my first Netgear router in a long time. I opened a formal support ticket to use my 90 days free support. So far I am into it a week with 4 responses that have nothing to do with the problem I outlined. They have suggested I change the wireless channel (it's hard wired ethernet connection clearly stated in my post).....they suggest I use a static IP, again clearly outlined that both static and 'auto' have been tried. etc etc.....I don't think they actually read what we submit! At this rate I will be at my 90 days with noone really even replying to the issue I am trying to solve. You would think it would escalate after a while to a more experienced staff member. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try different LAN ports on the router?

How about a different cable?

Do you have a computer that's directly plugged in through cable? If yes, will it experience the same problem about the IP?

If not, perhaps use the port and cable that's using to isolate. 

Message 5 of 20
maddly2000
Guide

I tried a new cable. I tried a different port on the router and I tried wireless. While for some reason it doesn't happen 100% of the time anymore, it still happens every couple of days. If I reboot the router the xbox will connect, if I disconnect the wireless and reconnect (via settings) it will connect. 

Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you set up a IP address reservation for the xbox ON the router and set Automatic ON the xbox?

What FW version do you have on the router?

Message 7 of 20
maddly2000
Guide

I have tried it with a reserved IP address and without. I have tried static IP on the Xbox (manual) and DHCP (automatic) in every combination. The firmware is the lastest that came out a few days ago. 

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Test with setting the 5Ghz radio from max Up to speed to 300Mb only.

Set WPA2 and AES only and manual channel 48 or 149.

Disable HT160 and MU-MIMO features as well if present. Maybe found under Advanced, Advanced wireless section.

Id try downloading the Beta version of the FW which has QoS UI in the FW. Factory reset the router, manually load the file using IE11 or FF browsers, factory reset once more then set up from scratch. Set up reservations again for each xbox.

Message 9 of 20
maddly2000
Guide

I have factory reset and reloaded and built from scratch so many times. What I would like is for Netgear to fix it and not have me beta test and solve for them. A $500 router that won't connect to an Xbox should not be a problem for the end user to fix. I have never had a router (even $39 ones) NOT work with Xbox since they first came out in 2005. While I appreciate the community support, it would be nice if I could just plug it in and have it work. I have 4 kids with multiple devices. Between 10 and 20 on the network at any given time and NONE disconnect or have issues except the Xbox and we got a second Xbox One since my first post and it has the same issue. 

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try my suggestions.

I demo'd this unit earlier this year and didn't see this issue. Of course, I didn't load up to date FW.

This maybe a FW issue in resent FW so if the suggestions don't work. Try the Beta build of the FW and try again. You've been the only one to post about this particular issue so it maybe a just a bad unit or a mis-configuration.

IF you don't feel like trying the maybe you should return the router.

Message 11 of 20
maddly2000
Guide

I may get ambitious and give it a try. Just for info it's done this since first day and every revision of firmware. It's fine and stays connected until I shut the Xbox off. Then the next time I turn it on it won't connect. 

Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Also disable Instant ON on the xbox 1s. There is a known issue with this feature causing problems with networking. Especially NAT status.

I would get LAN wired connected at some point as well.

Message 13 of 20
maddly2000
Guide

I will try the instant on thing, I have not tried that. I have tried a wired connection with different cables and different ports, same issue. Doesn't matter if it's wireless or wired. So the instant on may be the key. Good idea!

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the other suggestions as well on 5Ghz or downgrade FW. IF this is happening on both wired and wireless. Could be a different issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Message 15 of 20
maddly2000
Guide

Well, I owe Netgear and the Community an apology. Turning of the Xbox Instant On feature solved it. Now I can start hounding Microsoft. 

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Good luck in getting them to fix that. Been a problem since the xb1 came out. Glad yours is working now.

Message 17 of 20
Sac2uneak
Aspirant

My Xbone is "instant on" and I STILL have the same issues. I've got the QoS turned on, and speed test done, I've got static IP, opened necessary ports for gaming, etc. It also, is hard-wired with a cat-6 cable. So, I don't thinkl you owe ANYONE an appology. THere's something odd about this SUPER expensive router, NOT doing its job. I have a feeling it wants to block our xbox from the network, thinking it's not allowed to take up bandwidth....when...well....it's the exact opposite! 

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 18 of 20
Sac2uneak
Aspirant

Even if turning "instant on" to OFF....why would it be affected? Why would I LOSE that feature on my Xbone? That doesn't make much sense! 

Sorry, you can't come out of standby mode to use this router because it's 1992!"

Message 19 of 20
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Sac2uneak Tried reinstalling the latest firmware? How about hard reset?

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7