Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X4S R7800 AC2600 End of lifespan?

GodSpit
Aspirant

X4S R7800 AC2600 End of lifespan?

Hello, I've been using the model router listed above for 4 years now. In the last couple months its started to just show all the lights going to orange and basically restarting itself. I know its not an issue with the internet itself because my modem sits on my desk with my setup and router, and the modem never shows any red or orange lights when the router does this. It has the latest firmware downloaded, and to my knowledge is fine software side. (I even factory reset it). I was looking online and saw the typical life span of a router is ~3-5 years. Is this just what routers do when they're breaking down from being old? This is the first router I've personally owned, so I'm not sure when its just time to buy a router due to a hardware issue. Thank you for any help!!!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: X4S R7800 AC2600 End of lifespan?

Failure of a USB device could cause the router operating system to crash and re-boot.

Based on your description of events, I believe replacement is premature.  I personally have not experienced a router crash like you are describing.

If the level of reliability provided by your router no longer meets your needs or expectations, replace the router.  I do understand your efforts to be prepared for replacement.

The R7800 has a wide and well deserved reputation of being a long term strong performer.  I would not declare it dead until it is dead!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Electronic equipment can be adversely affected by heat and power surges.  Both seem to be cumulative on a piece of gear over time.

I am running a first year of manufacture R7800.  It sets in the open, lives in a cool climate, and has spent full time connected to a UPS.

If yours continues to degrade, look for a replacement power adapter for testing.  The output voltage and plug need to match and the amperage needs to be equal or greater.

There is nothing wrong with a firmware default reset and reconfigure from scratch.  You might consider re-flashing the same firmware on top of what you already have in place before the reset.  Do you have any USB devices connected?

Message 2 of 6
GodSpit
Aspirant

Okay, I have no USBs plugged into it at all. And I bought mine in 2017 (I'm not sure if that's first edition) but it sat in box until I got my own place in 2018. It's been through quite a few power surges through the years as I don't have, nor did I even know what a UPS was until you just replied. This will also sound bad, but until about last year I wasn't even getting the dust properly cleaned from the openings so it likely has overheated before as well. I was young when I got this thing and so I neglected it. The only way I've done good by this router is having it out in the open on my desk. These things considered, maybe 4 years is the max lifespan of a neglected R7800? 

Message 3 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Failure of a USB device could cause the router operating system to crash and re-boot.

Based on your description of events, I believe replacement is premature.  I personally have not experienced a router crash like you are describing.

If the level of reliability provided by your router no longer meets your needs or expectations, replace the router.  I do understand your efforts to be prepared for replacement.

The R7800 has a wide and well deserved reputation of being a long term strong performer.  I would not declare it dead until it is dead!

Message 4 of 6
GodSpit
Aspirant

In that case I will try replacing the power cord appropriately, if that doesn't work  I will probably just replace it. I need the stability. Thank you for the help?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would place a laptop cooler under any router you have to help keep it cooler and give longevity to the elenctroncs. 

I still have my R7800, running strong since 2017.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7