Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X4S R7800 is routing UDP Wake On LAN packets from external IP address?!

tom_guyette
Tutor

X4S R7800 is routing UDP Wake On LAN packets from external IP address?!

Was trying to get automatic Sleep mode working on my Windows PC, along with Wake On LAN.  Got it all set up, and discovered my PC is waking up immediately after going to sleep, over and over and over.

It turns out my network is receiving and routing Wake On LAN UDP packets throughout my network. The originating IP address according to the wolsniffer tool is 162.254.195.66, which is registered to the game company Valve and their service Steam.  I do have Steam installed on a few PCs in the house, but that doesn't change the fact that this packet should not be getting through to my network from outside.

I have turned off UPnP, port forwarding was already disabled, port triggering is disabled, DMZ is disabled, VPNs are disabled, firewall and DDoS protection is enabled.  I know no way why this stray packet is being passed into my network, apart from a bug or a serious misunderstanding of how the router is supposed to work.

Please advise!

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: X4S R7800 is routing UDP Wake On LAN packets from external IP address?!

Maybe disable or uninstall steam on the pc with issues. If the pc is "phoning home", it'll be whats causing it. 

Message 2 of 5
tom_guyette
Tutor

Shouldn't the router be blocking traffic like that? If anyone can push UDP wake on lan magic packets from any external address, wouldn't that constitute a major potential DoS attack?
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Its not necessarily a WOL packet being sent. Its the program on the computer not properly going to sleep. I've seen it a lot where the program itself is phoning back to the server and waking the computer from sleep .

Message 4 of 5
tom_guyette
Tutor

It is definitely wol magic packets. I was using a tool to specifically detect those. I also made sure the software wake queue was empty, then checked powercfg /lastwake to confirm it was my network adapter every time.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7