Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox Series X connection Slow

Anger756
Aspirant

Xbox Series X connection Slow

I have a Nighthawk R8000 router. My Xbox Series X speeds are slow compared to my other devices (phone, computer, etc.). I have my Xbox wired with a Cat6 Ethernet cable. My internet when connected to my Xbox tests at 250 mbps. When I take the ethernet cable out of my Xbox and connect it to my computer I get 550 mbps. Why would my Xbox not be getting the same speed? Dynamic QoS is not enabled.

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Its usually because the xbox is testing off a different server and that server isn't saturating it. Games don't take that much bandwidth so even getting 250mbps is way more than will be needed for gaming. The only benefit for faster speeds with that system is the games download quicker. 

Message 2 of 12
Anger756
Aspirant

@plemans that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is when I tried a different router I was consistently getting 400 mbps instead of 250 mbps. When I switched back to my Nighthawk router it tested at 250 mbps again. Could a setting on the router or Xbox be slowing it down?
Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Make sure access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls are disabled. 

Are you using IPv6?

Message 4 of 12
Anger756
Aspirant

@plemans

Spectrum Modem Model ES2251

Access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls are disabled. I'm not using IPv6.
Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Try enabling ipv6

Message 6 of 12
Anger756
Aspirant

I enabled IPv6 and chose the "auto detect" option. Is that the right option to choose? When I tested the speed again it went up to 280 mbps from 250 mbps. Any other suggestions?
Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

If everything else is getting full speed but the xbox, I'd still be looking at how the xbox is testing. Maybe its choosing a poor server when ran through the router. 

Message 8 of 12
Anger756
Aspirant

One thing that is odd is that my dynamic QoS is disabled and always has been but when I press "Apply" with out changing a single setting on my router, my Xbox starts testing at full speed (400 mbps). I've done this every time it starts testing low and it works every time but for only about 12-24 hours. Any idea why this might be? Again, my dynamic QoS is not enabled so this is very confusing.
Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Try the factory reset. leave everything at defaults. test the speeds then

Reason I said that is I've seen ctf (needed to hit gigabit speeds over wan) get disabled when those services are activated and not re-enabled when they are disabled. 

Message 10 of 12
Anger756
Aspirant

I reset the router and unfortunately no change in speeds.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

We've seen it were Xbox and there speed testing services may or may not be the most accurate or reliable. If your wired PC is getting to spec speed thru the router and the Xbox isn't, I would guess that the xbox and there services are the problem. Seen this before with prior xbox consoles. There networking and adapters they use are not that great sometimes. There's was also a problem with the X series xbox ethernet adapters causing network problems when they came out. Not sure if that was ever fully addressed. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series