Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Zoom Calls Intermittently Drop Audio When Wired

mzagaja
Aspirant

Zoom Calls Intermittently Drop Audio When Wired

I have a Netgear R7000P and for unknown reasons when using Zoom I get semi-regular audio drops of 3-10 seconds. This only seems to occur when I am connected via a hardwire. A wireless connection to the router presents no issues. I have contacted Zoom support about this and they say there are no issues on their end and it is either the Netgear router or my ISP. The idea that it is my ISP seems improbable. However Google reveals several individuals having similar issues with Zoom:

Zoom audio cuts out for a second once every couple minutes on Reddit seems similar.

* Unstable Internet on Zoom Calls is also similar but I lately do not get the "unstable Internet" message, just the audio cut outs. The suggestion of turning off SIP ALG did not appear to remedy this for me. My QoS is also off.

The fact this only seems to occur within Zoom suggests it's a Zoom issue, but the fact it only seems to occur when I'm wired in also suggests there may be an issue with the router, whether it's the wire itself, the ethernet adapter, or something else. However I have used two different ethernet adapters and the issue presented on both. I do not note any packet loss in the Zoom statistics, so that makes me think it is something else with Zoom.

I am using a 16" MacBook Pro 2019 with the latest MacOS Monterey. It also happens with my 13" M1 MacBook Pro on the same docked setup. Any suggestions to resolve this would be appreciated, or a venue with which to report this bug to Netgear and maybe help them coordinate with Zoom. Zoom support worked with me over the past week to isolate the issue before declaring it was a router or ISP issue. I have Verizon FiOS in Boston.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Zoom Calls Intermittently Drop Audio When Wired

IF the power cycle doesn't solve this, a full on factory reset will be a next step. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 7
mzagaja
Aspirant

Firmware is V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

The ONT is a Nokia. G-211M-C MRev: 03.

I only use the "auto-update" feature of the Netgear.

No factory reset. It seems like it would be a lot of work to do this if there isn't a guarentee or strong evidence it would resolve this issue otherwise. Is it really worth trying that?

I will try the power off and then on tonight.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the power cycle doesn't solve this, a full on factory reset will be a next step. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@mzagaja wrote:

Firmware is V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

The ONT is a Nokia. G-211M-C MRev: 03.

I only use the "auto-update" feature of the Netgear.

No factory reset. It seems like it would be a lot of work to do this if there isn't a guarentee or strong evidence it would resolve this issue otherwise. Is it really worth trying that?

I will try the power off and then on tonight.

Message 5 of 7
mzagaja
Aspirant

Ran a Factory Reset over the weekend and then noticed my speeds on my 500Mbps connection dropped to 300Mbps. I disabled NAT firewall protection along with ping and DoS protection and started to see expected 500Mbps speeds. No issues on hours of Zoom the past two days with this configuration, so will consider it a win.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to keep Firewall enabled.

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series