Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear r7800 5ghz light not on

icet8520
Aspirant

netgear r7800 5ghz light not on

the 5ghz light on the router is not on, the broadcasting is checked, no single is found on any device. This issue happens after the router reboots several times itself. The 2.4ghz works fine.

Message 1 of 4

Re: netgear r7800 5ghz light not on

Not a lot to go on there.

Which firmware version is on the R7800? The number please. Claims of "the latest" can be misleading.

Have you tried a reset?

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front. It is also the first thing that Netgear support will recommend.

Message 2 of 4
icet8520
Aspirant

Router Firmware Version
V1.0.2.92

the 5ghz light goes off after the first manual rebootin becasue all the light goes on and off for some reason. After, the lights stay on excpet the 5ghz, then i updated the firmware last night think of it might fix the issue, the 5ghz light came back for a few minutes then it start repetitive rebooting until i hard reset it by holding the reset button. Then the 5ghz light goes off again. every setting in the routerlogin.net is same as before.

I had this router for 5 years, it is aging? if nothing can fix the issue im thinking of replace it with a new router.

is ax5400 wifi 6 router good? or any other recommandation compare to this one.

Message 3 of 4

@icet8520 wrote:

the 5ghz light goes off after the first manual rebootin becasue all the light goes on and off for some reason. After, the lights stay on excpet the 5ghz, then i updated the firmware last night think of it might fix the issue, the 5ghz light came back for a few minutes then it start repetitive rebooting until i hard reset it by holding the reset button. Then the 5ghz light goes off again. every setting in the routerlogin.net is same as before.

One thought is that the power adapter could be failing. These are more likely to die than the electronic circuitry.

If you have an adapter with the same specifications, you could try that.

I had this router for 5 years, it is aging? if nothing can fix the issue im thinking of replace it with a new router.

is ax5400 wifi 6 router good? or any other recommandation compare to this one.

The R7800 is ageing. It dates back to 2017. For a while it was Netgear's go-to workhorse router. My own still soldiers on, but I have relegated it to AP role because it supports USB drives and ReadySHARE.

When it comes to a replacement, it depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend, not to mention the aesthetics.

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7