Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Connection has been reset" when trying to access router setup pages

Henderson
Aspirant

"Connection has been reset" when trying to access router setup pages

When trying to access the router setup pages from my main PC, (Windows 10 64-bit with Anniversary update, wired) all it brings up is "The connection was reset", it won't even bring up the login box.  It comes up so fast it's as if something is actively refusing the connection.  Nothing has changed on the system other than the Windows 10 Anniversary update which I got very late (by choice), it's possible that's when it started.    

It happens with Firefox, in safe mode, IE, Chrome, SeaMonkey and PaleMoon, just the message is slightly different between browsers.  It happens whether I try through 192.168.1.1./start.htm, routerlogin.net/start.htm or routerlogin.com/start.htm.  I can ping 192.168.1.1, no lost packets.  I can ping the IPs to each computer on the network, no lost packets.  There are no issues at any other websites, whether http or https.  Modem is a Motorola MB7420 if that matters.

I can access the router setup pages perfectly through another PC with WinXP 32-bit (wired), and also through a laptop with Windows 10 64-bit Anniversary update (wifi).  I haven't reset the router to default since I really think it's some setting on the main PC causing it since I can access the router setup from the other 2 machines just fine, but I'm at a loss what it could be at this point.

These are some of the things I've tried without any change (there's probably some steps I'm forgetting to list at this point):

Updated router firmware to v1.0.7.10_1.2.3
Rebooted router and modem and PC multiple times
Safe Mode with networking
Connected PC directly to router
Disabled Host file

Always on static IP and double checked that all entries were correct

Switched to obtain IP and DNS automatically
Disabled Windows Firewall and AV (Kaspersky)
Scanned for malware, nothing found
Flushed DNS
Changed DNS servers
IPv6 was always disabled, but tried enabling it
Cleared out browser caches

Reset Internet Options
Reinstalled LAN drivers
Removed RealTek network adapter and reinstalled hardware
Uninstalled and reinstalled Java

Any suggestions what else I can try to fix this?  

Edit to add that I do not use a proxy.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
LeeH
Prodigy

First you must reset your router with the reset button on the back pressed in for about 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink.

Second Kaspersky has been known to cause this problem.  It must be uninstalled and reinstalled in order to get the login to the router back.  Not sure about the procedure but searching this forum will show you other peoples solutions to this problem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

First you must reset your router with the reset button on the back pressed in for about 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink.

Second Kaspersky has been known to cause this problem.  It must be uninstalled and reinstalled in order to get the login to the router back.  Not sure about the procedure but searching this forum will show you other peoples solutions to this problem.

Message 2 of 10
Henderson
Aspirant

Thank you!  Uninstalling Kaspersky vs just disabling it actually solved the issue, I didn't have to resort to a factory reset of the router (I was certain it wasn't anything about the router anyway).  What's odd though is that both PCs and the laptop also have Kaspersky installed, the same version in fact. 

I'm hoping that the problem doesn't come back when I reinstall Kaspersky now.  Is there a particular setting or a part of Kaspersky that is causing the issue? 

Message 3 of 10
LeeH
Prodigy

Not sure about Kaspersky.  I use Norton.

A reset is needed every time you change firmware.  It needs to be done after the firmware change.

Message 4 of 10
Henderson
Aspirant

Kaspersky reinstalled, imported my old settings, and I can still access the router page, so it's all working as it should again.

About having to do a reset of the router for every firmware update, that's the first I've heard of that, and I've updated the firmware several times now.  Shouldn't the router page at least warn you to do it once the update is complete or have it mentioned in the manual?  I'm not really anxious to redo all the various settings and port forwarding on the router if it can be avoided, and it's been working perfectly without doing factory resets after firmware updates.

Message 5 of 10
LeeH
Prodigy

If it's working good for you don't worry about it.

It is just unusual for you not to have any problems after so many updates.

Message 6 of 10
Henderson
Aspirant

Ok, I'll leave well enough alone then since everything is now perfect across all PCs and the laptop.  I'll definitely keep it in mind though if I ever do experience unusual problems.

Thank you again for the help, it was driving me crazy the last 2 days trying to figure out this problem! 😄

Message 7 of 10

@Henderson wrote:

Uninstalling Kaspersky vs just disabling it actually solved the issue, I didn't have to resort to a factory reset of the router (I was certain it wasn't anything about the router anyway).  What's odd though is that both PCs and the laptop also have Kaspersky installed, the same version in fact. 

I'm hoping that the problem doesn't come back when I reinstall Kaspersky now.  Is there a particular setting or a part of Kaspersky that is causing the issue? 

The Kaspersky issue has been a long running saga here.

Unable to access router management page with Kaspersky installed | Answer | NETGEAR Support

One wrinkle seems to be that after uninstalling Kaspersky you have to access the router's interface before you reinstall Kaspersky. If you do that, then you will have access whenever you want it.

Just in case anyone thinks that this is a fight between Kaspersky and Netgear, I have seen reports of the same problem with other makes of router and modem.

Message 8 of 10
Henderson
Aspirant

Thanks for the additional info.  I did make sure I could access the router setup after I uninstalled Kaspersky, so I was good there, and after installation I can still access the router pages.

What's really odd is that I've been using Kaspersky well over 6 years now (probably closer to 10), and never had this problem.  Plus it's on the other PC and laptop that have had no problems.  There was no major update to Kaspersky recently other than nightly virus definitions, I installed the newest version last summer and have had no problems accessing the router setup pages since then, not until this last week.  I also thought disabling it and certainly booting into safe mode where it's not even started would have ruled out any problems coming from the AV program, but apparently not.  Only the complete uninstall worked in my case.

Message 9 of 10

One Netgear user reported that one of those recent signature updates killed their access to the router. But this has never been a logical bug that people can pin down. Like you, some people have a number of machines, some work fine with their routers' access while Kaspersky kills others.

This message shows that it is a widespread issue:

Solved: Kaspersky Router Connection Reset issues. Blocked admin pages.

There are plenty more where that came from.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7