Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r 7900 2.4g but no 5g

began
Aspirant

r 7900 2.4g but no 5g

Recently, I lost 5g on my r7900. Although the two bands would show up on my Lgg5 cellphone, neither of my laptops, nor Netgear Genie nor WiFi Anaylzer app showed 5g presence.  I upgraded the FW to v1.0.1.12_10.0.17 with no change. I turned off and on both radios with similar results. I then did a factory reset and rolled back the firmware to 1.0.0.8 did another factory reset again without a positive outcome.Is there an explanation as to why my cellphones show the presence of 5 g yet the laptops, Netgear Genie and WiFi Analyzer app don't show them? This problem became evident when I tried to bring additional LIFx light bulbs on line and couldn't get them to connect. In the past I had found, at least for me that the bulbs, were easier to connect on 5g than 2.4. Any help would be appreciated but if no solution....Google WiFi looks appealing.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: r 7900 2.4g but no 5g

@began wrote:

Recently, I lost 5g on my r7900. Although the two bands would show up on my Lgg5 cellphone, neither of my laptops, nor Netgear Genie nor WiFi Anaylzer app showed 5g presence.

It may be a silly question, are you sure the laptops can handle 5G?

I ask it because that has sometimes been the answer in the past.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

@began wrote:

Recently, I lost 5g on my r7900. Although the two bands would show up on my Lgg5 cellphone, neither of my laptops, nor Netgear Genie nor WiFi Anaylzer app showed 5g presence.

It may be a silly question, are you sure the laptops can handle 5G?

I ask it because that has sometimes been the answer in the past.

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

What are the 5 GHz channel configurations?

Message 3 of 6
began
Aspirant

Kudos! I was so certain that I had seen the 5g's listed on my laptop's list of available networks. Your comment and all the things I had tried made me reconsider. So, I thought if I really didn't see the 5g's in the list on the laptops then, surely I must have seen it on the list on my tv. I was so certain but again, no 5g on the tv list either. Supports all that research on eyewitness testimony being often mistaken!.The fact I didn't see them listed in Net Genie again was because the laptop doesn't have a dual band adapter. Although, they were picked up on the cell, the WiFi Analyzer app on the same phone still doesn't show them But after accepting the problem was not the router after repeated tries I've been able to reconnect most of the LIFx bulbs (they started the whole cascade)....love them though. Thanks for the help...nothing too silly to suggest...

Message 4 of 6
began
Aspirant

Thanks, for the input but the first solution was correct and speaks to "operator error" sorta'

'

Message 5 of 6

@began wrote:

Thanks for the help...nothing too silly to suggest...

Anyone who claims that they have never made a similar blooper is either lying or self deluding.

As the saying goes, stuff happens.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7