Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r6400 gets error message "trouble finding site"

lnbbrady
Tutor

r6400 gets error message "trouble finding site"

• Setup
    1. Home network on satellite connection through a modem
    2. Netgear AC1750 smart wi-fi router (model r6400)
      1. Firmware version V1.0.1.74_1.0.48
      2. Settings are set on auto-update, so I don’t know if a firmware update ran or not right before the problem began
    3. Computers (laptop and desktop) both running Windows 10 current version.
    4. Phone is Samsung Galaxy S20 FE (android)
  • Problem
    1. The problem has been going on for a while as I tried to figure out what was going on.  I don’t remember when it began.
    2. Both laptop and desktop, when plugged into router and I click on or enter an internet link, I often but not always, get this screen almost immediately
      1. Hmmm. we're having trouble finding that site
      2. We can't connect to the server at www.xxxxxx.com
      3. If that address  is correct, here are three other things you can try:
        1. try again later
        2. check your network connection
        3. if you are connected, but behind a firewall, check that Firefox has permission to acces the Web
        4. try again
    3. After hitting “try again” button, sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t
    4. Sometimes “try again” brings up a page that looks like the page data got to the computer, but it wasn’t interpreted and put in the right place.  Putting the cursor in the address area and hitting enter gets the page looking correct.
  • Testing
    1. Plugged laptop directly into modem and it doesn’t fail
    2. Put laptop on wi-fi and it never fails. At same time desktop on hard-wired still fails
    3. Phone on wi-fi never fails
    4. Turned off all Avast shields. Problem persists
  • Conclusion:
    1. The problem is in the router.
    2. Wi-fi portion of the router Is ok.
    3. Hard-wired portion of the router has the problem.
  • Questions
    1. Is the problem in the router hardware, which means buy a new router
    2. Or is it in the router settings.  What should they be and how did they possibly get changed?
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
lnbbrady
Tutor

Re: r6400 gets error message "trouble finding site"

Thanks for your help.  I'm heading to the correct forum to post the problem right now.  And I am now smarter, knowing what ONT means.  Now if I only had a reason to use the knowledge.  Being in a rural area, I know what fiber is, but can only wish for the speed it provides.  Heck, I'd be happy to get plain old-fashioned cable service. The digital divide does indeed exist.  I'm doing good to be able to use satellite service, slow as it is.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Mobile Routers forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/bd-p/aircard

Please include:  Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

Thank you

Message 2 of 6
lnbbrady
Tutor

I will repost as soon as I find the mfg/ model # of my modem.  What is the ONT?  Obviously I am not a hardware geek, but I follow instructions well.  To enhance my learning, why should I go to the mobile routers/hotspots forum?   My R6400 is plugged into my wall and into the modem that hooks to my satellite (obviously not too mobile!)

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Optical Network Terminal, seen on most Fiber ISP serivces. 

Sorry, I posted wrong link, my bad:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Message 4 of 6
lnbbrady
Tutor

Thanks for your help.  I'm heading to the correct forum to post the problem right now.  And I am now smarter, knowing what ONT means.  Now if I only had a reason to use the knowledge.  Being in a rural area, I know what fiber is, but can only wish for the speed it provides.  Heck, I'd be happy to get plain old-fashioned cable service. The digital divide does indeed exist.  I'm doing good to be able to use satellite service, slow as it is.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7