Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000 internet goes offline about once an hour

Retired_Member
Not applicable

r7000 internet goes offline about once an hour

Version: V1.0.11.126_10.2.112
Connect by cable to Spectrum modem (other devices connected by cable to modem do not lose internet)
Have not tried to connect by cable only to r7000

Background: when I first bought the r7000 (May, 2020), it kept dropping the internet multiple times a day. Did a third factory reset and it became stable. July 2021 I lost my password to access the router via the app. I did a factory reset. Since then the internet goes offline 4 to 8 times in an 8 hour period. (Today alone it has gone off 5 times between 08:15 - 12:54.)

In order to get the internet back online I have to reboot the router. The app goes through the process, and at the end it attempts to connect my phone to the router. It fails. I have to go into wifi settings where I can see the network, but the router will not give me access. After 5-6 attempts, I gain access for approximately 2 minutes. Then I have to go back to wifi setting and do another 5-6 attempts to connect to the routers network.

Is there anyone who can help, and if so, what other information do you need?
~jimmitten
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: r7000 internet goes offline about once an hour

Forgot to mention that while the internet is offline at the router, I can still test the internet speeds. Also I have not found any log that would give me a direction as to why the router's internet went offline. I have a very little experience with networks, but will get you any information I have to help you help me. Ad-Thanks-Vance.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Forgot to mention that while the internet is offline at the router, I can still test the internet speeds. Also I have not found any log that would give me a direction as to why the router's internet went offline. I have a very little experience with networks, but will get you any information I have to help you help me. Ad-Thanks-Vance.
Message 2 of 15

@Retired_Member wrote:
Version: V1.0.11.126_10.2.112
Connect by cable to Spectrum modem (other devices connected by cable to modem do not lose internet)

Other devices? That implies a router in front of a router. Bad idea.

What is the modem of this Spectrum modem?

Forgot to mention that while the internet is offline at the router, I can still test the internet speeds.

See above.

Message 3 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Michaelkenhoward. I only have one router. I have a laptop going directly into the Spectrum modem. And when the router (also going directly into the Spectrum model) loses its internet, the laptop doesn't. So I don't think it's the service up to the Nighthawk that's the problem. I'm in bed now with a CoVid like issue, and I cannot make it downstairs yet to get manufb& model if their modem. As soon as I can I'll post it as a reply. Thanks!,:~Jim
Message 4 of 15

@Retired_Member wrote:
Hi Michaelkenhoward. I only have one router. I have a laptop going directly into the Spectrum modem. And when the router (also going directly into the Spectrum model) loses its internet, the laptop doesn't.

A standard modem only device will not support both a laptop and a router at the same time. If your modem has more than one Ethernet port, then it is not a plain vanilla modem.

Unless your R7000 is set up as a wireless access point, you may well have two modems.

Tell us what the model of that modem is and you might get better advice.

Message 5 of 15
Plutocus
Aspirant

I agree with teh other poster - if your laptop can conect to internet directly through the modem, then it sounds like your modem is also a DHCP server.  You will have nothing but problems with that setup (google "double NAT".  The 2 best options are to set the modem/router in bridge mode, and use the R7000 as the only DHCP server.  The other option is to only use the modem/router (not recommended).  You'll need to search on-line for how to set your modem in bridge mode, and what you need to configure on the R7000.   

Message 6 of 15
antinode
Guru

Let's try again.

> Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router

Firmware version?

> Connect by cable to Spectrum modem (other devices connected by cable
> to modem do not lose internet)

What, exactly, did you connect to what, exactly?  (Hint: If a device
has different types of ports, then "connected to device" is not enough
detail.)

What is your (unspecified) "Spectrum modem"?  Maker?  Model number?
Is it really only a "modem", or is it a combined modem+router?

> What is the modem of this Spectrum modem?

Presumably, he meant "What is the model [...]?".

> Tell us what the model of that modem is [...]

How many requests does it take to get an answer to a basic question?

> [...] I only have one router. I have a laptop going directly into the
> Spectrum modem. [...]

That mght be true, if your (unspecified) "Spectrum modem" were
actually a "modem".  If anyone else could see its maker and model
number, then someone who knows the difference between a modem and a
modem+router could tell you with greater confidence that you're wrong.

> Unless your R7000 is set up as a wireless access point, you may well
> have two modems.

Presumably, he meant "two routers".  There is no modem in an R7000.

Cascading multiple routers can cause multiple problems.  Generally,
you want one router, not more.

If you have any client devices connected (wired or wireless) directly
to your (unspecified) "Spectrum modem", then it includes a NAT router,
and you'd probably want to configure the R7000 as a wireless access
point.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"Set up the router as a WiFi access point".

If want to connect all your client devices to the R7000, and if you
can configure your (unspecified) "Spectrum modem" as a modem-only
("bridge mode"), then you might want to do that, and make the R7000 your
(one) router.

> [...] So I don't think it's the service up to the Nighthawk that's the
> problem. [...]

The problem is not what's on the ISP side of the R7000.  The problem
is (or, at least, might be) your cascading two routers.

> [...] As soon as I can I'll post it as a reply. [...]

And then we should know what everyone else is guessing, now.

And if the "experts" could put a little more effort into using terms
like "model", "modem", and "router" more carefully, then they might
generate less additional confusion.

Message 7 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Never mind everybody. I have a different manufacturer router coming in tomorrow & I'll throw the Netgear piece of junk in the trash. I really appreciate everyone chiding me about not getting the modem manuf and model when I was down there a couple days ago, and completely disregarding that I said I'd get it when I got well enough to go down in to the d@mn basement. I'm an effing novice here and I was looking to learn. This attitude is why I hate working with networks, and with IT in general. Good.bye.
Message 8 of 15

@Retired_Member wrote:
Never mind everybody. I have a different manufacturer router coming in tomorrow ....

Replacing a Netgear router with one from another brand is unlikely to fix your problem. The "double NAT" conflict is nothing to do with the brand. It is down to the technology.

Is there any reason why you are reluctant to reveal the make and model of your modem?

That would be useful information for anyone else who turns up here with the same issue. It could save them money before they rush off down the wrong road.

Several people have now warned that your "modem" may be no such thing. You might have done better to replace that.

Message 9 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] I have a different manufacturer router coming in tomorrow [...]

Whether that will help might depend on what you do with it.

> [...] completely disregarding that I said I'd get it [...]

Some of us didn't "completely disregard" anything, but that doesn't
change the need for the information.

> [...] This attitude is why I hate working with networks, and with IT
> in general. [...]

If you mean the "attitude" where people expect you to provide useful
descriptions of the stuff you're asking about, then you might find it
hard to avoid that kind of "attitude".

> Is there any reason why you are reluctant to reveal the make and model
> of your modem?

Is there any reason you didn't bother to read the explanation already
given?

Message 10 of 15
Jsettle
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue. I have intermittent connectivity constantly having to reset. I updated the firmware to the latest 1.0.11.126 downloaded and manually updated via Ethernet to the Nighthawk. Still really slow connectivity or none at all. MacBook and iPhone will connect and show the network in the wifi drop downs but drops connection. I have a DZS modem with fibre high speed. Trouble shooted with my ISP and they are saying it’s Netgears problem. Can anyone assist?
Message 11 of 15

@Jsettle wrote:
I have a DZS modem with fibre high speed.

That doesn't tell us enough about this modem.

DZS is a brand. So it is like saying "I have a Ford car". Could be one of many different devices.

DZS also makes routers, Maybe you are trying to add router after router. A bad idea.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@Jsettle wrote:
Trouble shooted with my ISP and they are saying it’s Netgears problem. ?

The inevitable buck passing which reveals that, like most ISPs, they are probably ignorant.

Message 12 of 15
Jsettle
Aspirant

Found the modem model number it is ZNID-GPON-2424A1-NA. It's been working fine up until now. I mean normal hiccups here and there but I usually upgrade the firmware and it's fine - this time not so much.

I saw multiple articles about downgrading firmware but couldn't find anything that was more recent than last year. Should I try that?

Message 13 of 15

a combined ONT/router
@Jsettle wrote:

Found the modem model number it is ZNID-GPON-2424A1-NA.

Is that this thing? That's what Google takes me to.

ZNID-GPON-2424A1-NA DZS ZNID 2400A Series Indoor GPON ONT

Similar SKU ZNID-GPON-2424A1-NA.

If so, the description suggests that it may be a combined ONT/router.

The Series includes models with up to four 10/100/1000Mbps LAN ports, two POTS Voice FXS ports, b/g/n WiFi (with internal or removable external antennas) and an RF Video port, in a compact enclosure for indoor use.

Does your box also do wifi and have a row of Ethernet LAN ports?

@Jsettle wrote:

I saw multiple articles about downgrading firmware but couldn't find anything that was more recent than last year. Should I try that?

I have no idea what those multiple articles were trying to fix. (Firmware is involved in very many things.) In your case, if this is a combined ONT/router, messing around with firmware isn't likely to fix the basic problem.

That it worked before may simply be because the R7000 made an "intelligent" guess when you set it up and went for settings that tried to accommodate the "double NAT" issue.

Message 14 of 15
Jsettle
Aspirant

Yes that’s the correct modem although it’s black. My ISP said it doesn’t have wifi capability but the specs you found indicate otherwise.

I reviewed the articles you sent on double NAT - I don’t have the access to do any kind of setup or altering of the modem. I don’t have anything plugged into the modem other than the router as the image scenario in the article suggests. Any suggestions on how I can set up the modem to be a “bridge”?

One other update on how it’s performing - wifi was working entirely all day after the last reboot I did. I plugged in an Ethernet cable to connect a different device and then it disconnected all devices. There is some kind of issue with Ethernet vs wireless connections. Not sure if that is clue to anything.

Thank you for your help!
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7