Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r8000 slow wifi and wired speeds

Stim4
Follower

r8000 slow wifi and wired speeds

Hi all,

I am having trouble with my wifi and wired speeds on my Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000.

I recently upgraded to gigabit service via Xfinity.  I purchased a new Motorola MB8600 which is capable of 6000Mbps to access their service.  I installed the new modem yesterday and was surprised to find ~185Mbps download speeds and 5Mbps up.  After troubleshooting, they determined that the issue was a wire issue in our home, and sent out a technician today.  He tested the signal before and after replaceing some wiring and plates.  Their tests showed 200 down and 5 up before his work.  After his work, it was 970 down and 45 up at the modem.  Testing downstream of the router, it was ~200 down both wired and wireless.  

I have looked through much of the support recommendations here, and following the some of instructions, I downgraded to firmware v 1.0.4.28 and did a factory reset.  After the reset, download speeds over wireless climbed to 250Mbps with 45Mbps down.

I have again updated to the latest firmware and disabled QoS, Access Control, Filtering/Blocking services, and traffic monitoring are all off.

Currently, the speedtest in in the router shows 310 down but at my Wireless connection 6 feet away, I get 95...

Your help is much appreciated.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: r8000 slow wifi and wired speeds

It isn't easy to understand what you are saying, but reading between the lines it seems that you are getting much slower wired speeds out of the router than out of the modem. (Wifi speeds are a red herring that we can ignore because that will never get anywhere near the wired speed because that's how wireless works.)

The first thing to try is a different cable connection from the modem to the router.

@Stim4 wrote:

After the reset, download speeds over wireless climbed to 250Mbps with 45Mbps down.

Again, it isn't easy to understand what this is saying because it sounds like the wrong way round. Is that 250Mbps up and 45Mbps down?

For most wifi clients, 250Mbps is a good speed.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7