Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wireless device disconnecting several times throughout the day R6700v3

motoxjosh29
Tutor

wireless device disconnecting several times throughout the day R6700v3

hello,

i do not see a later date of this discussion so i figured i would ask.

i have a R6700V3 AC1750 nighthawk router running V1.0.4.84 with auto update on.

i have anywhere from 7-10 wireless devices running but my specific problem lies here in the last few weeks. my sons kindle fire tablet keeps disconnecting from the wireless. when i login to the nighthawk app, go to device manager, the button is turned off. the router does this on its own several times throughout the day. It is only this device. my other sons kindle fire tablet, exact same model does not do this.

I have had this less than a year and i am past the 90 day support option.

one thing i notice as of late, is that the device names constantly are changing. some names of amazon devices show up and other times its a random amazon-19374636 name.

any help or guidance would be greatly appreicated.

-Josh

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: wireless device disconnecting several times throughout the day R6700v3

@motoxjosh29 wrote:

thanks for the discussion. i will try this tonight.

it is a combo device... i'm pretty green at most of this, but i think the only way to avoid the double nat issue, is to setup bridge mode if its supported in both devices. OR ask for a dedicated modem only. 

Most devices have a modem only mode. Disabling wireless doesn't do it. Or if they don't have a modem only/passthrough mode, you leave that specific device running in router mode and would put the R6700 in AP (access point) mode. this prevents the double nat. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The attached device list hasn't been accurate for a while sadly. 

What band is the fire tablet attached to? 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 

have you tried changing wifi channels on the band its attached to? maybe there's interference. 

What modem are you using?

There's certainly things you can look at on the router but when everything other than 1 devices is working fine, its usually not the router. 

what fire tablet is it? (model)

Message 2 of 8
motoxjosh29
Tutor

it was on 5ghz and i switched it to 2.4ghz a few days ago. still the same problem with that device.

its a kindle fire 7, 2017 version i believe.

my modem is the netgear frontier standard dsl with the wifi diabled. sorry, i can get specific version when i get home.

im wondering if i can do a forget network, on the tablet, and try to refresh the connection. what i think is happening is when the device list name changes, it gets disabled then...

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@motoxjosh29 wrote:

it was on 5ghz and i switched it to 2.4ghz a few days ago. still the same problem with that device.

its a kindle fire 7, 2017 version i believe.

my modem is the netgear frontier standard dsl with the wifi diabled. sorry, i can get specific version when i get home.

im wondering if i can do a forget network, on the tablet, and try to refresh the connection. what i think is happening is when the device list name changes, it gets disabled then...

worth a shot. 

its also worth looking at the modem. if its a combo device (router and modem) and you're running the R6700 you could have a double nat issue. Usually you see problems on more than 1 device but stranger things have happened. 

Message 4 of 8
motoxjosh29
Tutor

it is a combo device... i'm pretty green at most of this, but i think the only way to avoid the double nat issue, is to setup bridge mode if its supported in both devices. OR ask for a dedicated modem only. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@motoxjosh29 wrote:

Most devices have a modem only mode. Disabling wireless doesn't do it. Or if they don't have a modem only/passthrough mode, you leave that specific device running in router mode and would put the R6700 in AP (access point) mode. this prevents the double nat. 

Message 6 of 8
motoxjosh29
Tutor

so i finally figured out how to get that modem/router combo into bridge mode. it has been working all weekend without kicking any devices off the network. thanks for the help i would of never gotten that kind of answer from frontier if i called in.

i attached a pretty good pdf version of a website i found to help get that combo frontier unit into bridge mode. once again @plemans  thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you go it working well! and we appreciate the pdf for others who have this issue.

thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7