Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wyze security camera uses 2g not 5g

bubbalou12
Aspirant

wyze security camera uses 2g not 5g

wyze security camera uses 2g not 5 g, my router has both . i need to split the router usage to my personal use on the 5g and a "guest" that uses the 2g as the camera says its not connecting to the 5g it according to wyze techs runs on 2 g

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
kneel242
Aspirant

common issue with lots of IOT devices honestly.  I have to keep 2.4ghz quite heavily used because of that

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What router do you have? 

Some you can disable smart connect and separate out the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz. 

tough to know without knowing what you have. 

Usually for setting up a device that only has 2.4ghz, you just need to make sure the device you use for setup is on 2.4ghz. so you can separate out the ssid's until the device is setup, and then combine them again

Message 2 of 7

@bubbalou12 wrote:

wyze security camera uses 2g not 5 g, my router has both . i need to split the router usage to my personal use on the 5g and a "guest" that uses the 2g as the camera says its not connecting to the 5g it according to wyze techs runs on 2 g

This smells like yet another case of poor programming by the people who make Internet of Things (IoT) stuff.

It really has nothing to do with your router. You should ask Wyze how you should set up your device using an app that connect6s to 5 GHz wifi.

It is hard to provide much more than general advice because you haven't told us what Netgear router you have. Let's start with the assumption that you have something usually discussed in this section for Nighthawk WiFi Routers.

With most IoT stuff, there is no need to mess around with separate SSIDs . Many, many people have connected devices using a simple and temporary fix that does not break the whole reason for buying a Mesh wifi system.

Most IoT things work on 2.4 GHz. They will not see, and cannot connect to, 5 GHz wifi.

Many makers of IoT devices use an app on a mobile device to set up the thing. Mobile devices usually connect to 5 GHz wifi and don't let you choose 2.4 GHz. The setup app should be able to connect to 5 GHz wifi and still talk to things on 2.4 GHz.

Poorly designed apps fall over because they cannot handle installation using a mobile connected to 5 GHz wifi while the IoT toy is on 2.4 GHz.

A widely used strategy that works for many people is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this strategy:

1. Go into your router's wifi set up (see below)
  2. Disable broadcast of 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This approach has worked for many people.

To work out how to turn of the 5 GHz wifi, visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your router's model number and check the section in the manual Enable or Disable the WiFi Radios. The exact working may differ for your router.

After you have got it working, complain to the people who made the IoT thingy.

Message 3 of 7
kneel242
Aspirant

common issue with lots of IOT devices honestly.  I have to keep 2.4ghz quite heavily used because of that

Message 4 of 7
bubbalou12
Aspirant

Yeah the thing was i called wyze tech help, talked so much n got no help.really, my neighbor told me touch wifi on your phone, dropped down 2 wifi capabilities, one said netgear68 5g the other only netgear68, the netgear68 is the one running 2.4g ,if only netgear would put the 2g and netgear5g it would be soooooooooo much easier to figure out, it had nothing to do with the router itself it was all on my phone hahahaa so simple t scary
Message 5 of 7

@bubbalou12 wrote:
....if only netgear would put the 2g and netgear5g it would be soooooooooo much easier to figure out

A lot of Netgear routers do allow that, but it is a backward step. Smart wifi and Mesh technology make it more a hindrance than a help in most circumstances.

Much better for IoT suppliers to write capable software.

Message 6 of 7

@kneel242 wrote:

Any tips on how best to go about it with your setup?

People turn up here regularly with the same problem. They might appreciate some guidance.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7