Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Accidently updated the router before satellite on MK63

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Accidently updated the router before satellite on MK63

According to this web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/000063806/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-V1-0-6-112-Hot-Fix

I'm suppose to update MS (satellite) first then MR (router) second.

As the title said i accidently updated the router before satelite.

Currently under router update tap.

MR60 firmware is v1.0.6.112 (latest)

But both satellie 1 and 2 firmware is still v1.0.6.102 (08/12/2020 relase)

I've been trying to update the satelites with MS60-V1.0.6.112_2.0.52chk and they fail everytime.

Everything seems to work ok so far, but would like to both MS satellite updated to the latest firmware as MR.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Accidently updated the router before satellite on MK63

It looks so simple when it works, wow! I'll have to start using FF from here on.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

See if this process works for the MK series as it works for Orbi systems:

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks FURRYe38 for reply,

Will try this option and will report back. 

Message 3 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After factory reset the RBS and log in as admin and password (default) and the update is completed.

Do i need to change password on RBS from default to match RBR prior syncing? 

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. No, just re-sync the RBS to the RBR and it should acquire the data it needs. 

Message 5 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38,

The RBS #1 is seems to be straightforward as your procedure. But when try to working on RBS #2, after factory reset I could not log in as 192.168.1.250 not sure why.

As for RBS #1 I was able to re-sync both wifi backhaul and wire backhaul. After log in to router, i can see RBS #1 is firmware V1.0.6.112.

For RBS #2 is still working/syncing on both wifi backhaul and wire backhaul and it shows V1.0.6.102 firmware. 

I have tried updating RBS #2 thourgh routerlogin.net using V1.0.6.116 (8/18/2021), but still failed.

For now i have both RBS1 and 2 and RBR working as follow:

RBR = V1.0.6.112

RBS1 = V1.0.6.112

RBS2 = V1.0.6.102

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So with the RBS#2 ethernet connected to the RBR, it appears as connected and can you access it's web page at the assigned IP address using a web browser and send the FW file to it using MS Edge or Firefox? 

Message 7 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, with RBS#2 ethernet connected to the RBR i can access its web page. That's where i can see (RBR = V1.0.6.112, RBS1 = V1.0.6.112 and RBS2 = V1.0.6.102)

But when i try to send RS FW file either V1.0.6.112 or latest 116 still fail using google chrome.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try Re-sending v102 to the RBS using FireFox...

Message 9 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't have pc with Firefox. Will try on MS Edge, if not will try firefox. I may have to do this on the weekend. Will report back

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I finally got my router and both satellites updated to the latest firmware 116.

Not sure if Firefox web browser made the update work. Here’s what I did

Download Firefox web browser

Download Firmware update(116) using Firefox browser and unzip.

Using router login web browser. I manually update the FW same thing as I did under Chrome web browser, but still FAIL.

Instead of using MANUAL update as I dd in the past. This time I decide to try online update.

Administrator – Advanced – Router update and wait for the newer FW download to complete if there is any available.

In my case, 116 is newer FW.

Then click update. I can see that the update indicator is in process.

When the update is completed, the router and both satellite current FW show the latest version V1.0.6.116.

This is the first time that i use online update. 

Hopefully 116 will solve most of the problem. Thank you, FURRYe38 for the help and suggestions. Finally got it to work.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Great news and glad you got it working. 

Ya, FF is my go to for FW processing. Other browsers like Chrome and others seem to not process the operation fully or correct sometimes. FF always seems too work best, at least for me. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It looks so simple when it works, wow! I'll have to start using FF from here on.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements