× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Best Nighthawk Mesh System to upgrade to from R7960p?

c_of_c
Star

Best Nighthawk Mesh System to upgrade to from R7960p?

Hello,

I currently have Netgear Nighthawk R7960p router (Nighthawk X6S) model.I am looking to upgrade to a mesh system, as my home has 3 levels and a mesh system will provide better coverage. Which Nighthawk Mesh system would be best to upgrade to, from a features perspective? I can read the various specs, but was wondering if anyone has a "real life" experience of moving from a R7960p router to a mesh system.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Best Nighthawk Mesh System to upgrade to from R7960p?

Is the lowest level a basement area or just a main level? 

Basements are not recommended places for the main host router. Concrete and steel will inhibit good signal travel.

If your looking for Nighthawk MESH, then I'd probably go with the MK83 series. 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR📡 and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡 ‌‌🛰

Or an Orbi 752 or 753 series. Though for that size of home I believe you could get by with a router and just one RBS for the Orbi system. ️

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What future proof devices do you have or may look to have in the future? Such as supporting of 6ghz? 

I still have my R7960p router however hasn't been used in a long time. Even when I had it online, I needed one extender to help wifi signals in a 5000 sq ft home with 2 levels and a basement. Moved on to testing Orbi and MK systems. Though I have both wireless and wired infrastructure, I prefer using ethernet for any remote satellite placements. MK systems are good however the one in the basement always seems to have poor connection vs a Orbi satellite which seems to be a bit more powerful when wirelessly connected. Ethernet connections for any satellite will always be more stable and out perform wireless connections. 

Message 2 of 6
c_of_c
Star

Home is 3200 sq ft on 3 levels. Have about 50 WiFi devices supporting smartphones,laptops, tablets, security cameras, thermostat, streaming devices All 2.4 or 5ghz. R7960p is on lowest level (that is where cable enters the house) and signal reaches all areas but not as powerful on top level or outside. Also have wired devices but mainly on the first level, a couple on the second level via powerline. Future devices, it just depends, I hack around but rarely do anything "leading edge".

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the lowest level a basement area or just a main level? 

Basements are not recommended places for the main host router. Concrete and steel will inhibit good signal travel.

If your looking for Nighthawk MESH, then I'd probably go with the MK83 series. 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR📡 and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡 ‌‌🛰

Or an Orbi 752 or 753 series. Though for that size of home I believe you could get by with a router and just one RBS for the Orbi system. ️

Message 4 of 6
c_of_c
Star

Sorry for my delayed response, had to deal with some health issues.

The lowest level is a finished basement. For now since that is where the cable enters the home, that is where the router has to be (maybe I can get a contractor friend to run a split up to the first floor).

I will look into the MK83 system. It seems to match the features of the R7960p best. Thank you.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

👍

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series