Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Big mistake re-networking with MK63

HFox
Aspirant

Big mistake re-networking with MK63

Just replaced a great working network with a MK63 and one additional satellite. I thought I was making life easier by gettting rid of the different network names, range extenders, access points in attics, etc. Instead, it all just got me more pain.

We're in a 4500+ sq. ft. house, so I thought the MR60 and 3 satellites would be ideal. Satellites are all located pretty strategically, none being more than 30-35 ft. from the router or each other. The biggest problem is that devices are attaching to just about the worst possible sat for their location. Almost nothing gets connected to the satellite that's closest to the device. Result is buffering problems on almost every streaming TV (4 of them), and things like our Ring doorbell connecting to the farthest satellite when the router itself is no more than 10 feet away.

Someone, PLEASE, tell me there's a simple way of getting devices to connect to the sat that actually makes any sense at all. I've tried disabling the devices in the stupid (as a brick) Nighthawk app and later re-enabling them, but that does absolutely nothing. They all just jump back on whatever sat they were previously conncected to. What does Netgear expect people to do - power off the entire network and every device, then one-by-one, boot up the MR60, then power up only the devices you want connected to the router, then repeat the process with each of the sats and other devices?? Really, Netgear? That would be totally asinine.

I really feel duped by Netgear and that I've completely wasted several hundred dollars for absolutely no gain. Please tell me I'm wrong and point me to some useful information before I drag every piece of this crap out to the back yard and melt it.

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

With mesh networks, you can actually have the satellites to close to the router/each other. 

We usually recommend moving them further away because they need at least 30ft between router/satellites to properly roam. 

Message 2 of 11
HFox
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. However, as I first stated, the satellites and router are all around 30-35 feet from each other. One of the satellites is closer to 40 feet from its farthest neighbor.

Also, I don't recall anything in the setup instructions or in the NightHawk app that said the satellites and/or router needed to be farther apart for any reason - only closer if there's poor signal strength (naturally)..

Also, I fail to see what having satellites further apart could possibly do to cause devices all over the house to connect to one or another of the satellites that are 50 or 60 feet from the device when there's a satellite just less than ten feet away. Something there just doesn't add up.

Lastly, I take it from the lack of inclusion in your reply, there actually is no way to correct this problem without resorting to some ludicrous task as the one I suggested?

As I said, BIG mistake taking down my previous network with the idea that the AX1800 Mesh system was going to make my life just a little easier. I suspect that in a small-ish home, possibly, the MR60 with one satellite might make some sense. Otherwise, one can PLAN on having the kinds of issues that I've encountered. Not a great selling feature.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

1. this is the community forum where members of the public try to help out. We're not netgear. 

2. I don't have a MK60/80 system so most advice on here is based on the orbi devices. they use different firmware but a lot of the same problem solving carries over. Which is where the distance recommendation comes from

3. You won't find many on here who're troubleshooting the MK systems. I'm one of the  most frequent on here and again, I don't even have one or even tried on. So I'm forced to go off the standard recommendations on what can help with them. 

4. Maybe the moderators can help out since there aren't many using the MK system helping out. @DarrenM @Christian_R @Dustin_V 

5. Or if its a new purchase, you have 90 days of free support from date of purchase. You can always contact support. Click on "mynetgear" at the top. Register an account and the device. From there you can see if you're still in your support window and contact them. 

Message 4 of 11
HFox
Aspirant

Thanks again for your reply.

Yes, I understand I'm looking for help from the Netgear community. Unfortunately, that's absolutely necessary since trying to get help from Netgear tech support technicians is next to impossible.

I spent over an hour a few days ago on a phone call to Netgear support trying to find someone who might be able to help with our problems. I was forced to ask for a different technician twice because I could only understand about every fifth or sixth word that were spoken by the first two techs, because their accent was so incredibly strong. And, I may be retired, but I'm not hard of hearing. The third tech was only a little better but I stuck with her for the duration. The ONLY thing that she did during the 40-minute call was read steps from a script instructing me to perform tasks that I had already done a half-dozen times before deciding to call. Most frustrating, though, was that she never once addressed either the problems I described or the questions I've posted here.

What else is one supposed to believe, other than Netgear expects every home consumer to seek all problem solutions from their community? In my opinion that's an untenable decision on Netgear's part. If they don't intend to provide tech support from users all over the world, in at least some semblance of a native accent for each user, then they darn well shouldn't be selling those products except in the countries where they outsource their tech support.

I've pretty much exclusively used Netgear equipment for ten or more years. I think it's now time to seek other options.

I do appreciate your willingness to repsond, but I realize there's only so many products that users here can possibly be familiar with. As for contacting moderators, I can't help but be skeptical that they will be able to help either. I think the real problem lies in the design of the product which means a solution would be readily found if any solution actually existed. In any case, thanks very much for giving me your time.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

I've never been a fan of any of the dual band mesh systems versus the triband mesh systems.

the only time that isn't the case is when you're using a wired backhaul.

Something you could try? 

Hardwire in 1 of the satellites (if possible) and see if performance improves. 

Maybe the backhaul from router--->satellite is sketchy. 

Many things can impact wireless which is why I'd say try the wired backhaul. I've seen someone who had a foil liner on the insulation and they insulated the interior walls for some reason. It played havoc on wireless signals. Or it could be something else thats causing the backhaul to be sketchy. Thats the problem with dual bands is if the backhaul is sketchy, the fronthaul will be even worse. 

Message 6 of 11
HFox
Aspirant

Our home is 27 years old. In 1994 maybe one in one hundred thousand thought about cabling their home with Ethernet and most likely only a few could have afforded it. Hec, back then I worked for.a Fortune 50 company and they used token-ring which you've probably never heard of unless you're within a few years of my age. For me to have a company install Ethernet cable now, even to one room would cost way more than to just replace what I spent on this mistake. 

In my view this is another case of a company doing a really poor job of designing and engineering a product that simply doesn't perform as advertised. They seriously need a return policy for situations just like this. After buying many thousands of dollars of Netgear equipment over many, many years, they're compelling me to switch companies instead of addressing a very real flaw in a new product - despite all of the glowing reviews. It's a real shame.

Message 7 of 11
Robrhapsody
Tutor

I'm just hoping that Netgear listens to the voice of the customer and pays attention to this site. I've seen this issue talked about all over the internet and it doesn't make sense to prohibit users from choosing what access point the device is connected to. Can't deal with 50mb/s while 10 feet from a satellite when I pay for 400mb/s and get those speeds when I'm close to the router. Sorry that we both made the mistake of purchasing the wrong product, but Netgear's marketing should mention that it is not helpful with increasing speeds in a house less than 2000sq. 

Message 8 of 11
in2ndo
Apprentice

I’m new to the mesh systems. But I think the problem is the dual band in the 63’s.
My place is nowhere near that big. And initially I bought those. Due to connection issues I exchanged it for the MK83’s and now everything gets full lines. With the 63’s about 1/4 of the devices on the 2g band specially, would only get the first dot that shows the wifi signal. Now everything that I can test the speed on. Is getting a constant 200 to 230 Mbps down. My service plan is up to 200 Mbps.
Message 9 of 11
HFox
Aspirant

Thanks for the post, in2ndo. I can think of only one thing to ask: how were you able to "exchange" your MK63 system for the 83? Netgear never offered any such solution for me after hours of worthless troubleshooting, even when I asked about it. If I had the option, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Message 10 of 11
in2ndo
Apprentice

Your welcome HFox. I hadn’t realized how long ago you posted your concern. I only kept them for about a week. With how customer service has gone down the drain and support it’s been there since 30 years ago. I play and test all new equipment as soon as I get it and put it through as much as I can.
But you can probably sell it on eBay and get most of your money back if your return window has pass. I got my 63’s from Costco. And my 83’s from BestBuy with the exchange warranty. It is a little extra expense. But now days is well worth it.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7