× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

CAX30 not connecting to MS80 Satellite with ethernet backhaul

tomahok
Aspirant

CAX30 not connecting to MS80 Satellite with ethernet backhaul

I want to add the AX3600 (MS80) Satellite to my CAX80 network using an ethernet backhaul.  The cable is working as it can feed gigabit speed to my laptop, but when I plug it into the MS80, I get a red light after holding reset for 15+ seconds.  The signal does travel through the MS80 box as my computer has gigabit speed using an ethernet cable plugged into the second ethernet port of the MS80.  I can see the MS80 on the Netgear App, but there is no functionality that I can see on the app to reset the satellite, download latest firmware, etc.  Thanks for any insights!

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX30 not connecting to MS80 Satellite with ethernet backhaul

MS can only connect to MR model MESH systems. Not compatible with anything outside of this model range:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-6-AX-Mesh/NOTICE-Nighthawk-MK-Series-MESH-System-Co...

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

why did you think the MS80 would work with the CAX30/80? 

Message 3 of 13
tomahok
Aspirant

Same manufacturer. Backwards compatibility. I saw that the EAX80 can only do ethernet backhaul by changing to a setting that defeats some of the MESH features (I can only recall "point" being in the name, and that large offices use this style).  Was hoping to get a satellite with full MESH AND backhaul.

Message 4 of 13
tomahok
Aspirant

Also, now I come to find that the MK series are not supported by Xfinity in my area for gigabit service, so I may switch manufacturers, unless you have an idea of how I can add ethernet backhaul and have full MESH using my current CAX30, a router supported by Xfinity in my area?

Message 5 of 13
tomahok
Aspirant

Thanks for replying, and for any info you can provide!!

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

MK series MESH systems are not ISP modems or gateway modems. MK systems are MESH WiFi Router systems only. They required a ISP modem or gateway modem to connect to the internet, such as your CAX30. One can put the CAX30 in modem only mode and then install a MK mesh system behind the CAX30 modem. ISPs only support modems and gateway modems. Not router or wifi mesh systems. 

Message 7 of 13
tomahok
Aspirant

Thanks, Furry!  I was not counting on the MS80 to be a modem (I bought the satellite box only), but was just hoping it would work in some way with the CAX30.  (I read The EAX80 can do backhaul, but must be set up using AP in a way that requires creating a separate second network, ugh).  I'm not crystal clear from your previous answer.  Seems like you were trying to hammer home that you need a modem as part of the system... of course!  Are you also saying that my ISP, Xfinity, cannot serve a CAX30 modem only setup that is connected to a MESH system?  Because I would leap at that setup, having a couple rooms in the middle floor of the house hardwired with CAT-6 from the basement location of the modem/router.  Thank you so much!  Google is very tilted toward selling, and not explaining :))

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya the MS is a satellite, so no router here. the MR version is the router portion of the MK system which can work as the host router or the MS satellite and, yes you can configure the CAX30 into modem only mode and connect up an MR to the CAX30 and use this configuration as internet access and service. How I used my CAX30 when I had it online last with my ISP. So yes, if you can find a MR80, then connect it up to the CAX30 and then the MS 80 would connect to the MR80 and you'll have a working MESH system. 

@tomahok wrote:

Thanks, Furry!  I was not counting on the MS80 to be a modem (I bought the satellite box only), but was just hoping it would work in some way with the CAX30.  (I read The EAX80 can do backhaul, but must be set up using AP in a way that requires creating a separate second network, ugh).  I'm not crystal clear from your previous answer.  Seems like you were trying to hammer home that you need a modem as part of the system... of course!  Are you also saying that my ISP, Xfinity, cannot serve a CAX30 modem only setup that is connected to a MESH system?  Because I would leap at that setup, having a couple rooms in the middle floor of the house hardwired with CAT-6 from the basement location of the modem/router.  Thank you so much!  Google is very tilted toward selling, and not explaining :))

Message 9 of 13
tomahok
Aspirant

I think I'm getting up to speed now.  Did not realize router and satellite had to be same series (60, 70, 80), and did not realize MS80 could not communicate with CAX30.  I bought the single satellite MS80 off Amazon.  I think I'll keep it and get the MR80.  I did see that there are only three internet ports on the back of the MR80.  Can I run the CAT-6 from the CAX30 to hook up my two office computers, plus run ethernet from the CAX30 to the MR80 and use wifi off the MR80, all within the same network?  Or do I need to get an ethernet switch to add more connections and run all ethernet off the MR80?  thanks!

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, due to the limited ethernet ports in back, one can had a switch to the back for additional ports. Or run one cable from the MR to a remote location with a switch and connect devices there. Same thing behind the MS. Unmanaged switches are recommended. NETGEARS GS 10x and GS-30x are recommended. CAT6 cabling as well. 

The MS can be ethernet connected for ethernet backhaul as well. 

Good Luck. 

@tomahok wrote:

I think I'm getting up to speed now.  Did not realize router and satellite had to be same series (60, 70, 80), and did not realize MS80 could not communicate with CAX30.  I bought the single satellite MS80 off Amazon.  I think I'll keep it and get the MR80.  I did see that there are only three internet ports on the back of the MR80.  Can I run the CAT-6 from the CAX30 to hook up my two office computers, plus run ethernet from the CAX30 to the MR80 and use wifi off the MR80, all within the same network?  Or do I need to get an ethernet switch to add more connections and run all ethernet off the MR80?  thanks!

Message 11 of 13
tomahok
Aspirant

Thanks again for you help!  Very appreciated!!

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements