Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Can I tell my MR80 satellites what path to connect to the router manually?

Daktyl
Follower

Can I tell my MR80 satellites what path to connect to the router manually?

I recently purchased the MR80 3-pack as a gift for my friend as he has a weird internet situation. His room isn't very far away from his modem/router, but something in his walls makes it so that wifi just refuses to penetrate that far. He's used old Google WiFi pucks so far but they were starting to act up so I got him an upgrade.

But the problem is that the mesh setup we used before is having problems. Basically, with the google pucks we had an intermediary satellite in a room in between his and the router's, and one in his room directly connected to his PC. With the nighthawks, this is causing a problem in that the one in his room is *just* good enough connection with the main router that it keeps jumping between connecting through the intermediary satellite like we want it to (which gives him decent-ish 500Mbps on his gigabit connection) and connecting directly to the router itself (which drops him down to about 5Mbps if even, and drops packets like a mother-).

I'd assumed that the router software itself would figure out that one path is significantly better than the other, but after a week it hasn't stopped doing this stupid switching so... if possible, I'd like to be able to force the router into a set mesh path (app calls it network map) so that it stops jumping around. It's literally killing his ability to play online games.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can I tell my MR80 satellites what path to connect to the router manually?

Hi Daktyl,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
Robrhapsody
Tutor

Re: Can I tell my MR80 satellites what path to connect to the router manually?

It should be an obvious feature. I should be getting close to 400mb/s.s Can't move the router or the satellite without setting up ethernet cables through the rooms. We thought a mesh system would fix this (Computer connected to router with ethernet/TV in another room connected to satellite with ethernet), but I'm within 10 feet from the sat on my laptop with wifi and gettting 50mb/s. Can walk to the room with the router and get over 400mb/s. Not stable at all and it's disappointing. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7