Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Complimentary support

kbsmith33
Aspirant

Complimentary support

My father bought this system (Nighthawk AX1800 WiFi 6 Mesh System) from BestBuy on August 18th, 2021 and tried to set it up this weekend.  After experiencing multiple issues logging into the router, I suggested he contact Netgear support, which he did.  Netgear Support charged him $46 for support that did not solve the issue.  When I checked Netgear's Website, it incicated 90 day complimentary support from date of purchase.  That is unacceptable.  Has anyone else had this issue with support?  

Thank you,

Kevin Smith

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Complimentary support

Make contact with a forum moderator if you need help with complimentary support:

@DarrenM 

Reivew the installation guide and user manual on setting up the MK system. I recommend using a wired PC and web browser. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 4
kbsmith33
Aspirant

ISP is ATT

My father attempted to use the Netgear app to set up, but had trouble with that. I walked him through the browser based setup (over the phone).  The machine used to connect to the router was a Windows 10 machine, and Chrome was the browser.  While he was able to setup a new admin password for router access, he couldn't get further than what sounded like (over the phone) a summary page of router settings (SSID, encryption type). He described no other menu items or way to edit those settings, meaning the default SSID and password couldn't be changed.   Further, each time he logged into the router, he was asked for the security questions as if he wanted to reset the admin password.  I told him to clear the browser cache, but that didn't help.

Kevin Smith

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Its doubtful that he actually contacted netgear. There's a ton of scam/con sites out there. Even Netgears support prices don't work out to the $46 you're reporting. 

To contact support, he click on "mynetgear" , registers an account and the device. From there, there is options to contact support. 

In terms of the setup, Att supplies modem/router combo devices to their users. When you're connecting 2 routers together, it causes a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

There's 3 options to fix that (only use 1)

1. put the att router in passthrough/modem only mode. Not always the easiest option

2. put the netgears IP address into the att routers DMZ

3. put the netgears into access point mode. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7