Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Epson printer won't connect to closer satellite on mesh network

JohnG48
Aspirant

Epson printer won't connect to closer satellite on mesh network

I have an Epson WF-4820 on a 2.4GHz frequency with my Nighthawk mesh wifi 6 system. I have a satellite about 6 feet away from the printer, but the printer wants to connect to the main router upstairs. It keeps disconnecting causing me to have to turn it off and back on. 

How do I get it to connect to the closer satellite?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Epson printer won't connect to closer satellite on mesh network

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

How many MS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You might also try setting it with a reserved IP address. 

A printer really doesn't take much for bandwidth so it shouldn't matter a whole lot bandwidth wise if its connected to the router or the satellite. 

Message 4 of 6
JohnG48
Aspirant

Yes, that is the system I have.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@JohnG48 wrote:

How do I get it to connect to the closer satellite?

This is one of the most common questions on the forum. The "bottom line" is that WiFi devices choose which WiFi access point to use.  The device surveys the available access points, finds one with an SSID/password that it recognizes, and connects.

One thing that appears to affect which access point is chosen is whether the decide is seeking a connection when the system boots up. WiFi access points broadcast their WiFi SSID up to 10 times per second.  If the base unit powers up and begins broadcasting WiFi before it tells the satellite to begin, then the printer may "see" the base unit, connect to it, and quit looking. (Mobile devices, such as smartphone, tablets, laptops, are often programmed to scan almost constantly for WiFi so that they can "roam".  Printers typically remain physically in one place.)

So, I recommend:

• never turn the WiFi system off.
  • if the printer gets disconnected, power it off and back on.

And.... join the hundreds of frustrated users who face this problem.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7